Good tool bag for controls technicians?

I use what looks like an industrial strength doctors bag. One large compartment inside, just long enough to fit a ball peen hammer.

Poet.

Me too! Picked it up at a military surplus store. Works great!

71fvBaePi-L._SL1200_-1.jpg

Veto Pro Pac makes some really nice stuff, i dont have any of their backpacks but i do have their XLT LT over the shoulder bag because it fits my 17" laptop. The backpack only holds a 15" laptop. LOTS of storage for other stuff though, i would use the XLT LT bag if it wasnt an over the shoulder option, i much prefer a backpack because it leaves the hands free to carry other stuff!

I don't have the LT version, these bags are expensive but very robust

Yeah, expensive is one word for it. I just did some napkin math and if I wanted to buy the Veto backpack, it'd run me about $540. I'd have to buy it from an online "authorized dealer" if I want a warranty, and they all want to charge US$50-80 for shipping, plus conversion, plus taxes, plus applicable duties. I'm sure it's a great backpack, and I'm sure the other Veto bags are also great, but I'm also almost sure they're not $500-540 great.

I think I'll just go with separate bags for laptop and tools, and get a CLC 1539 like in the first post or something like that. I have an open-top tote currently that I don't like. Bump into it, turn too sharply on the road, it tilts and everything falls out. I want a closed bag for this reason.

I prefer a separate bag for a laptop and cables. The Klein bags are tough and you can get most of what you need in one.

Pelican 1510 Air. Make sure to get the lid organizer. I subdivide my tools with a Rubbermaid tool bag/pouch (found that at Walmart years ago) and I use zippered banker's bags to keep small tools like sockets and screwgun bits organized.

I have a tool pack list that clocks in at exactly 49.5 lbs; just below the weight for a standard checked bag for domestic flights.

The Pelican has been with me to three continents, on countless plane flights, and many trips through the NYC subway. It's a trooper.

I replaced the wheels on it with rollerblade wheels, and it glides like a dream through the airport.

I use a nice backpack I got at Fry's Electronics for my laptop and cables, accessories, etc...

-rpoet

So I have decided. I'm buying a regular Klein tool backpack for my tools. I was kind of interested by the Tool Master but it's 13 pounds empty so no thanks, and they've removed a bunch of pockets from the inner "front" side for the more or less useful dolly, and the tech-specific one seems to sacrifice a *lot* of tool organization for the laptop compartment.

It just makes sense to carry the heaviest part of your kit on your back. Also, I go to school for further education while I work and the bag looks large enough to carry a binder or two with my kit, so I'll be able to bring it to school and work with my own tools in my labs.

As for the laptop, I'll buy a separate messenger-style bag for it, so in essence I'm flipping how you'd expect things to be carried.

I don't actually go on installs or service calls all that often, though this is expected to change. So I expect the Klein to have a good, long life. I heard it can be a bit weak in the zipper so if it does fail (hopefully not spectacularly by dumping all my **** on the floor), I'll make the jump to the Veto.

I actually wanted to go with the Stanley at it seemed like the best backpack option but somehow no one carries it in North America? I can't find it on sale locally anywhere and I don't feel like paying 50 bucks shipping over the pond.

Thank you all for your input. A backpack was an interesting idea and it seems well-appreciated here, so that's what I'll go with.

I do it old school. I get the largest bag that I can find, and then an equally large apprentice to carry it for me.