OT google chrome

allscott

Anyone else using this? I'm using it at home and I love it, lightning fast. I may never use IE again.

thoughts?

Tried it but didn't see any advantage over Firefox (which I've been using for a while), so I'll stick with Firefox for a bit longer.
Maybe when it's a bit more of a polished application I'll give it another go (it locked up on me a couple of times - yes I know it's a beta).

allscott said:
Anyone else using this? I'm using it at home and I love it, lightning fast. I may never use IE again.

thoughts?

I'd say it's just too late in the game. Nothing spectacular comes from it. (And you shouldn't have been using IE anyways :p)

Firefox has the huge ability of customization.

Safari and Opera had the speed (Much faster page rendering than Firefox).

All of them are relatively secure options to IE, and easily customizable. Chrome won't go very far, maybe if it had came out a few years ago it'd be different, but these days it offers little in terms of originality.

Have used Opera for years now whilst dabbling with Firefox. IE is a pile of junk that unfortunately people seem to be obliged to adopt as the standard.

Chrome is good if you want a lightweight and quick browsing experience, and to be honest may replace Opera as my default browser. I know it has arrived late but it isn't designed to take over the world just to combine the best ideas from a multitude of open source browser projects. Isn't it built of the same engine as Safari?

Jon.

Jon R said:
Isn't it built of the same engine as Safari?

I'm not sure. I heard they had developed their own Javascript engine for it. And it is supposed to render java faster than previous browsers.

But I have also heard reports that its javascript engine is susceptible to some of the nasty exploits of previous java versions. Personally I wouldn't use it much for anything important until the bugs and exploits are worked out in the coming months.

And of course, this is google we are talking about, so I'm sure this is going to be in BETA forever. Isn't gmail still Beta?

I've been using Firefox for years - it is a superior browser in every way and IE7's so called innovations were nothing of the sort, they were merely Firefox rip offs. I won't use IE at home, but unfortunately, IT forces us to use it at work.

edit: I see from the google page that Google Chrome is using elements of Firefox and that like Firefox its going to be open source. Max and Linux version are planned. I think I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

Last edited:
I used IE for years, but gave that up for Firefox about 2 years ago, and now I'm sitting here on Google Chrome. Chrome is honestly no different to Firefox, but it's a lot faster, which appeals to the impatient person I am...

I use firefix too.

It is as good as any out there. The big difference is the pluggins. I use FireFTP and a bookmark synchronizer that keeps my bookmarks the same on all my machines ( 2 laptops, 1 Dell, a Mac Mini and my Mac Pro. Before I had to send e-mails to myself when I wanted to make sure a link got added to all computers.

Jeev said:
I used IE for years, but gave that up for Firefox about 2 years ago, and now I'm sitting here on Google Chrome. Chrome is honestly no different to Firefox, but it's a lot faster, which appeals to the impatient person I am...

I've played with Firefox too. Chrome seems faster. I have noticed a couple of glitches though. Some Java stuff doesn't work. Also some stuff on facebook doesn't work (I'm embarrassed to admit I occasionally visit facebook).

On the positive, Chrome is spell checking this for me as I type it, it doesn't like facebook as a word. IE or firefox never did that.

I use IE7 & Firefox. For me a browser need the following:
1. Lean Graphic Foot Print (I like a lot of space for content without using hide feature) 1. Chrome 2. IE7 3. Firefox 4.Opera

2. Fast downloads 1. Chrome 2. Firefox 3. Opera 4. IE7

3. Customized look 1. FF 2. Opera. 3. IE & Chrome

4. Fast downloads without refresh (IE's weakness for needed F5) 1.Chrome 2. FF 3. Opera 4. IE

5. Displayed correctly
1. IE, IE and only IE the standard

6. Stable - To early to tell

I'm using it now and like it. To soon to tell about outcome. Google is really strong for first time.

Nick

I tried Chrome with the PanelView Component terminal.. nope, the terminal knows it's only tested with IE6 and FF2.

I've found some glitches with a few features at some other forums, but I really like the cleanness of it. But I had to go back to IE6 for an ActiveX on the company intranet, and to Firefox to use my FireFTP plugin.

The showstopper for me is that ever since I started using Chrome, people have been complaining nonstop about paying for technical support. I'm switching back to Firefox or I'll have to start working for free. ;)

Nick.
That IE is "the standard" is possible because if the might of MS. Many websites take care to adhere to IE's intricacies. But IE is as far as some comparisons I have seen the browser that adheres the least to the official standards.

Alaric.
That EULA has since been withdrawn and replaced with a statement that "you own everything that you already own" and this should have been expanded to YouTube and some additional Google controlled sites. (*)

Only issue that I know of now is that every Chrome installation generates a unique serial number, and that number is transmitted with every transaction done with Chrome. Not sure what the purpose is, but some websites are active about this issue. Very Microsoftish.

*: Rockwell Support could learn from how swiftly Google handled this issue.