OT google chrome

The Chrome EULA is pretty horrible. They can't possibly expect to uphold it in court!

whirlair said:
Firefox 2.0 for me. I won't use Google Chrome due to the EULA. Firefox 3 I can't stand because of the rearranged back and forward buttons, along with the HORRIBLE URL bar (awesomebar).

FF for most web pages, Chrome for some of them, IE for none!

I've installed Chrome and it's certainly faster than FF, but only in some web pages... All Google apps, for example. Remember also that most of us have the Adblock add-on installed in FF, which helps loading the page faster.

Chrome browser is made to manage Java in a different (and better?) way other browsers do. For instance, I just tried the Rockwell site (www.ab.com) in Chrome and it loaded much faster than FF. In addition, I tried loading Gmail with a Dial-up connection (54.6K!!!) and compared to FF it was MUCH more faster too.

About customization like FF add-ons, I'd say will never see some FF favorites, like Adblock Plus, since Google major income comes from advertisement. For me, this add-on only is a good reason to stick to FF for now.

Finally, Google Chrome is here to be tested; it's not a finished product, it's still in development, and it will stay like that for a looooooooong time... Just like Gmail.

Stick with your favorite browser(s) until (at least) version 1 is released, but stay away from IE. It's not good for your health... ;)

Kron.

Not available for Win 2K

I would have tried Chrome on my personal laptop, but I am still running Win2K. Not going to pay Microsoft to upgrade on a laptop that won't perform with the newer OS.

Gil47 said:
Its my understanding that the lead developer of Firefox, now works for Google so similarities may not be a coincident.

Google openly states that they used portions of the open source code for Firefox on their info pages about Chrome.

Nice insight on your earlier post. Amen, brother on the IE comment. Maybe IE 8 won't be such trash. MS usually gets it right after screwing the pooch enough times. (But I still won't defend Vista -even with Jerry Seinfeld's support)

Kron said:
Stick with your favorite browser(s) until (at least) version 1 is released, but stay away from IE. It's not good for your health... ;)

Kron.

I don't think the system requirements on XP are greater than 2k. That said, if it ain't broke...

dskohio said:
I would have tried Chrome on my personal laptop, but I am still running Win2K. Not going to pay Microsoft to upgrade on a laptop that won't perform with the newer OS.

http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

Here's an explanation of what makes chrome so different presented in a dumbed down, yet still somewhat technical, comic strip... The presentation is a little bizarre, but I do like a lot of the design choices they made.

The browser uses webkit to render the pages. As far as I know this is the same open source engine that Safari and OS X use. It's also an open source project.

V8 is the new javascript engine. Basically instead of interpretting and executing the javascript as it runs, the new engine interprets once, compiles to machine executable, and then runs the compiled machine code. This should speed things way up.

The multi-process approach is pretty slick. You avoid all the headaches of multi-threaded programming but reap the benefits. Each webpage is it's own process, so if it makes the tab it's running in go to hell, it doesn't take down the whole browser with it. Basically the browser will have it's own 'Task Manager' to keep tabs on the individual processes. This should also avoid the memory leak problems that plauge firefox.

Lot's of good security minded stuff as well.

As for the EULA... well they've released it as open source, with a very 'free' liscence in line with BSD and MIT liscensing. This means if you don't like the EULA, strip it out, lose the copyrighted artwork, and re-compile it as your own no-strings attached browser. You have no legal obligations. This is even less restrictive than the GPL as you could even legally use the code in your own proprietary closed source project if you wanted.

Firefox is fine for me right now, but I do like to see Google bringing some inovation and fresh thinking into browser design. Looking forward to the Linux version of chrome.

I started using playing with it a couple of days ago, and, so far, I really like it.

I have only used IE in the past. Tonight, IE gave me a 404 error twice from home, so I popped open Chrome and it jumped right on my satellite ISP web connection.

I would guesstimate that it's more than twice as fast as IE in my case, and clean, smooth, no quirks so far.

I like the built-in spell checker, (especially here), but mostly the fact that it at least appears to be quick and efficient.

I have no security paranoia, and really doubt that Google is a worse 'big bro' than MacroShaft.

Yeah, I read the first 3 words of the EULA, and couldn't care less...EULA Schmooolla, it's all temporary in the internet age, isn't it?

I finally had to ditch the whole YeeWho? MacroShaft scene after the third confirmed rumor of their imminent merger.

My WildBlue wild blows. The little blue box has four idiot lights and does whatever it wants to my connection. Wildblue scripted tech support is useless. They have oversold their bandwidth, I am sure of it. During Monday night football and late at night, I can actually ping yahoo.com with 100% success and average throughput of 3000ms. But only after several power cycles to my whole workstation, first their box (viasat cable modem) four a minimum of one minute off, then wait for it to lock, then power up the router and PC.

I can't wait to switch to Earthlink.

Anyway, Chrome and gmail are miles ahead of IE7 and YawnHoot for mail...

I have not found any flaws in my Beta version and to the best of my knowledge is has not needed any updates. I will on Chrome exclusively for the next week or so and I'll report my experiences afterward. Remember, I have never used Firefox or others, so this strictly a head to head versus IE7.

Paul

MacroSloth.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using Chrome at work now. We were limited to IE but I have been running Firefox from a U3 thumb drive. When I mentioned using Firefox from the U3 drive to one of the IT guys this morning he told me that the policy now allowed anyone to download and use Chrome, he was using it and was happy with it.

One thing really stands out: Its fast. Really fast. I think I'll stick with Firefox for now at home though.

Firefox 3.1 B2 is out now and it is faster than Chrome. I can't wait for the final release of FF3.1!!

I use FF with tree style tabs and ublock origin as my daily driver. When I have issues with e-commerce sites I fire up Chrome to do the transaction and then shut Chrome down.

It would appear I've gone from FireFox 3.1 to FireFox 60.0.2 in the last 10 years :ROFLMAO: Still using it as a daily. Still resorting to IE for anything that doesn't work, which is only one Office 365 link these days.