thermocouple T type &water tempreture in chiler

mo_eng

hi guys and gals
i need to sense water tempreture in chiler.can i use a T type thermoqouple?
tem range 0-40 C

Last edited:
mo_eng said:
hi guys and gals
i need to sense water tempreture in chiler.can i use a T type thermoqouple?
tem range 0-40 C

Yes, good choice.
http://www.omega.com/thermocouples.html

Ranges.jpg

You can use the Type T, but expect to pay more. Type J and K would work, and are more common, widely available, and cheaper.

Tom Jenkins said:
You should seriously consider using an RTD instead for this temperature range. Wiring is simpler.

+1.

RTDs are also much more accurate. Granted, they will cost you a few extra bucks, but not much more. If the TC is more than a few meters from the instrument then the cost savings will be eliminated by the cost of the TC extension wire, where an RTD uses ordinary copper wire.

edit: BTW, if you have not done a chiller control system before then there are some important considerations regarding the compressors that need to be included in your control scheme, otherwise you may have less than satisfactory compressor life. So if this is your first one then get back to us on that.

Last edited:
Tom Jenkins said:
You should seriously consider using an RTD instead for this temperature range. Wiring is simpler.

Tom
Would like to hear more about why you think this.

I have used long TC with no connections and connect to a temperature controller data logger or a Fluke TC adapter to allow readout on VOM. Only two conductor very simple for testing setups and worked very well.

Have also used a few RTDs and they worked well also. Did not see much difference in the wiring complexity.

Temp ranges were generally ******t + - 40 F and extreme was 400 (stack temp)

What am I not thinking of??

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
...Did not see much difference in the wiring complexity...

What am I not thinking of??

I think that by "simpler" Tom was refering to the choice of wire, not difficulty in wiring. A TC requires TC wire made of the same alloys that the themocouple is made of for the thermocouple extension, where as the RTD uses plain copper wire.

Alaric more explane Alaric

edit: BTW, if you have not done a chiller control system before then there are some important considerations regarding the compressors that need to be included in your control scheme, otherwise you may have less than satisfactory compressor life. So if this is your first one then get back to us on that.[/QUOTE]

may be more explane

Last edited:
may be
i use a software protection for high and low pressure control and anti freez?
and your link very useful ALARIK
TANKS A LOT

Last edited: