Micro1400 and Proface

unsunghippie

I have a customer that purchased a new Proface to interface with Micrologix 1400 PLC as part of a machine refit. Having never worked with a Proface before I did a short Skype walkthrough with one of their techs on the phone. He was trying to steer us away from talking ethernet between the two and use a serial connection because he said it was faster and more reliable. (insert jaw drop here). He said this was due to the way the Micro1400 services ethernet comms.

I have used many 1400's and interfaced to a variety of other vendors in the past and have done some high speed stuff over ethernet and never had a problem.

Anyone have any experience with interfacing the two? Am I being steered because of Proface ethernet comm issue or has someone had 1400 ethernet comm issues? Other random blamestorming?