New to Siemens

Leukic

I recently ran into an issue with a brick saw at work and it uses S7-200 plc.

I got in contact with a local vendor and I was able to purchase the

Software: 6ES7810-2CC03-0YX0 : Step 7 Microwin V4.0 SP9
(Software compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 32 and Windows 7 64)
Programming cable : 6ES7901-3DB30-0XA0 : USB PPI Multimaster cable

Now i have searched around and noticed that logically there is just some small differnces in the program. Now if anyone has any specific tips for navigating and understanding the logic i would greatly appreciate it.

We sell lessons and they may help

https://www.plccable.com/flash-drive-siemens-s7200-programming-lessons-microwin-plc-training/

What kind of issues are you having or what logic are you having trouble understanding?

At this time nothing, I won't have the software until tuesday I believe.
I have NEVER looked at siemens plc so I was just asking if there is anything hugely different other than the outputs are Q and the inputs are I 1.1 instead of the normal rockwell style

The S7-200 is different from the rest of the Siemens line. It was in development by TI way back when. When Siemens bought TI, they finished it and supported it for many years. In the US it was replaced by the 1200 series. I was told it can no longer be purchased in the US, but it is still sold in China. Many machines built in China and exported to the US have the 200 installed.

Depending on what type of computer you are using the comms drivers can be a royal pain the *** with siemens.

If you're striking out don't hesitate to put in a support request with them on their website, they will typically reach out and help you solve it pretty quick, usually by supplying a patch or something.

Microwin isn't too bad, nothing too irregular about the logic representation.

One thing if you're downloading a program and using variables that have been changed from the default, open the expanded download options and make sure you just download logic, and not variable values. Otherwise if you're unfamiliar with the machine, you may be sorting out the variables for a while.

At this time nothing, I won't have the software until tuesday I believe.
I have NEVER looked at siemens plc so I was just asking if there is anything hugely different other than the outputs are Q and the inputs are I 1.1 instead of the normal rockwell style

As an FYI, when you're looking for training/examples, make sure they are 200 specific. The 200's are a bit different from the regular Siemens style; my understanding is that they were designed in America instead of Germany.

In the end, LAD code on one platform is pretty similar to LAD code on another, but it cane take a while to figure out where all the buttons in the editor are.

Siemens doesn't use the term "online edits", but there should be some other way to download code to keep the processor in run.

If you're striking out don't hesitate to put in a support request with them on their website, they will typically reach out and help you solve it pretty quick, usually by supplying a patch or something.

Might not want to get your hopes up about the hotline for the 200. The 200's have been discontinued, and they often charge for support on legacy products.

It never hurts to ASK, of course, but fair warning. They won't sneakily charge you or anything, but when they call you back, they may say they need some sort of payment before they can move forward with legacy support.

Last edited:
I would say MicroWin is the closest to RSLogix 500 than most other PLC software... I dont think you will have any issues, you can find a 'how to connect' video on our website

https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

Most of the 200's are smaller in size so if you dont have a lot of them you may want to think about changing them over to a MicroLogix as Ken said they no longer sell them in the USA so you will need to convert if one goes bad anyway... or find a used one on ebay

Might not want to get your hopes up about the hotline for the 200. The 200's have been discontinued, and they often charge for support on legacy products.

It never hurts to ASK, of course, but fair warning. They won't sneakily charge you or anything, but when they call you back, they may say they need some sort of payment before they can move forward with legacy support.

Yeah I agree the support they may provide to this series of controllers is probably quickly disappearing. I only said that about a comms issue because I recently had to ask for help with the USB>PPI driver after a fresh w7 install on my PG, and they were definitely able and willing to help.
(although lets be serious as old as this series is, they should probably have had it sorted by now with the normal install process.)

Yeah I agree the support they may provide to this series of controllers is probably quickly disappearing. I only said that about a comms issue because I recently had to ask for help with the USB>PPI driver after a fresh w7 install on my PG, and they were definitely able and willing to help.
(although lets be serious as old as this series is, they should probably have had it sorted by now with the normal install process.)

Hilariously, it could be some kind of situation where maybe the CPU is legacy but the connection cable isn't. I could imagine the support guy getting you to phrase the question in such a way that you aren't asking for help connecting to the CPU, but asking for help using THIS CABLE to connect to something.

I would say MicroWin is the closest to RSLogix 500 than most other PLC software... I dont think you will have any issues, you can find a 'how to connect' video on our website

https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

Most of the 200's are smaller in size so if you dont have a lot of them you may want to think about changing them over to a MicroLogix as Ken said they no longer sell them in the USA so you will need to convert if one goes bad anyway... or find a used one on ebay

Siemens has (had?) a conversion tool to migrate S7-200's to S7-1200s, which replaced them. If I recall, some things like wizards didn't get migrated, but general code stuff did.

Another migration possibility.

The saw plc should be fairly simple but until I arrived noone ever asked about if we had the software to look at the plc.
This is the only Siemens plc i have at the plants and it runs a saw which is fairly simple so replacing it will only be when it actually ***** the bed lol
And yes I contacted them via email support and within 2hrs i had a response of what software and cable and what local vendors were around.
I am running Toughbook with Windows 7 pro

Siemens has (had?) a conversion tool to migrate S7-200's to S7-1200s, which replaced them. If I recall, some things like wizards didn't get migrated, but general code stuff did.

Another migration possibility.

It sucked at best... I used it a couple times and did not have any luck, if they (Leukic) have a bunch of AB they should just stick with it, if I were doing the conversion then the 1200 would be the PLC I would take, but thats me :D

It sucked at best... I used it a couple times and did not have any luck, if they (Leukic) have a bunch of AB they should just stick with it, if I were doing the conversion then the 1200 would be the PLC I would take, but thats me :D

We have all AB besides this one machine so if it ever goes out, ill swap over to compactlogix or something of that nature

Some of our older stuff that I am updating is like slc04/05