Cannot add OPC topic to FactoryTalk View Studio

LupoTB

Hello All,

I need to add a SLC500 to FTView Studio and have run into a roadblock. The OPC topic is configured in RSlinx without a problem, but when I try to add it to the directory tree in the Tag Browser in FTView there is no option for me to do it. There are already 20+ topics in that branch (all SLC500s)...what am i missing?

I feel I must be close...

Thanks,

Rob H

Hello All,

I need to add a SLC500 to FTView Studio and have run into a roadblock. The OPC topic is configured in RSlinx without a problem, but when I try to add it to the directory tree in the Tag Browser in FTView there is no option for me to do it. There are already 20+ topics in that branch (all SLC500s)...what am i missing?

I feel I must be close...

Thanks,

Rob H

You don't add OPC topics to RSLinx to create FTView "Shortcuts".

Perhaps the reason you can't add the shortcut to FTView's communications is that you have the OPC topic created in RSLinx, and you have a name conflict.

I've just added 22 "Shortcuts" in an RSView application no problem. RSView has its own RSLinx (RSLinx Enterprise) configured in FTView Studio. You don't need to touch RSLinx at all.

Factorytalk + SLC500 + L36ERMS Compiling errors

Ok I looked but I am not getting anywhere.

History:
Two Panelview screens connected to a SLC500 on DH+

Boss asks us to change to Controllogix and replace the older panelviews with Panelview 7 pluses.

I get the bright idea to swap out the 5/04 for a 5/05 and message all the panelview tags to the controllogix side (250 Tags, including bits)

Then realize that its not necessary (EZ automation has screens that allow multiple processors to communicate to their Touchscreens)

I tried the OPC server for the 5/05 and on compiling there is an error, OPC server is not able to work on an AB panelview plus.

So then I read somewhere create a TOPIC for the 5/05.

I tested (ran) it on my notebook and it functions two data streams displaying exactly what each processors wants to display.

I compiled for transfer and the program compiler displays the following error "too many shortcuts" error. there are two shortcuts one for the SLC 5/05 and one for the L36ERMS

1. Can I have multiple sources talking to 1 touchscreen ?? If yes how ??
If no WTF.

I need a break been at this for a couple of days now, anyone ??

The full error is:Too Many shortcuts. Description: Panelview 7 Standard or Compact Machine Edition applications cannot have more than one shortcut.

Last edited:
Do you have a PanelView Plus Standard terminal, or a PanelView Plus Performance terminal ? What is the exact part number ?

The "Standard" PV+7 supports just one Shortcut, to one controller. That's similar to the limitations of the older PV+ "Compact" models.

Networking

Ken

I have given up on the multiple PLC entries to my touchscreens. We have imported all the SLC500 tags into the Factorytalk database and recreated all the screens to communicate to a single SLC 5/05.

Any PLC Data that needs to be transferred will be done through Messages from the L36 (To and From).

I am now faced with a network question that I have already posted.

There is a third touchscreen involved that is running on another computer it has a DH+ card that will become obsolete in this upgrade. The Current NIC is currently communicating to the plant on Ethernet IP 10.XXX.24.11 this is not my machine IP address that is on 192.168.1.45 how do I make that computer have the capability to communicate with Factorytalk to the SLC AND allow it to continue to communicate to the 10.XXX.24.11 network ?

There is no PLC activity on the factory network, I believe that management is manipulating files that exist on this computer (Recipe files and machine statuses)

Do I add a second NIC card or do I add a router or do I add a managed switch (never used one before)

Thank you in advance for all your help in past and hopefully in the future.