Productivity 3000 series programming question

talldude42

I would like some info on how to add to a set time with the touch of a button form the hmi. But first let me start with the process.

The machine runs through 2 cycles: a transfer and a cure cycle. Those times will be set at the hmi. The input time from hmi will change the time for the internal timer on the ladder logic. What i would like to do is have a lunch break button on hmi so when the machine operator comes back from their lunch break they tap the button and it will automatically add 20 to 30 secs to each cycle for X amount of times the machine runs through both cycles. after the X amount is completed then the cycles times automatically drop to what they were previously. This way we can eliminate operators changing cycle times by password protecting the option.

Im sure its fairly stright forward but i cant seem to find an option to allow me to add or maybe im just going abou tit the right way. The programming for the cycle timers and the hmi input for them is set up just need some help with the "lunch break" addition! Thanks

Why do you need to add 20 to 30 seconds to each cycle for X amount of times the machine runs through both cycles after lunch break?

Is it because the machine requires slightly longer cycle times for a few cycles after it has been stopped for lunch break?

If that's the case, then why rely upon the operator to let you know that lunch break is over? If the machine has been down for x amount of time, then add the required time to the cycle timer presets whenever the machine starts up.

Its for rubber injection molding machines. The process requires heat and pressure to form parts. When the operator goes on lunch the machines sit idle and heat is lost in the material and in the mold.

We currently have a physical timer on the machine that the operator can adjust at any point in the shift. What management is trying to do is take away operator influence on the machines. So if the operator feels like taking there sweet time they can turn the cycle times up so the machine takes longer to make parts. longer cycles = less parts and vice versa for running cycles to short. shorter cycles = more parts = higher production bonuses but can also create under cured or defective parts. By taking away the operators ability to adjust cycle times themselves it allows machines to run more consistent from shift to shift, operator to operator, mold to machine. The only time a mold or machine cycle times should be changed from the process spec sheet is when the mold is first started, lunch break, or if the mold is having process issues. We have designated lineman that start up the molds and hand the machine over to the operators once the parts are filling out correctly, and deal with the process issues that occur during the shift so operators main purpose is to get out as many quality parts in a shift as possible.

That was very long winded and more info than you needed to know but hey knowledge is power lol.

If the hmi has the "lunch break" option button that will automatically add the time to the preset time, the ability to manually change the cycle times can be password protected so the operator cant change the cycle. they would need to get a process tech or supervisor to change the preset time. In which case the the decision can be made to change the time or the operator just needs to move faster. If a change has been made it can be documented and if it is a re-occuring change then it will be changed in the process recipe.

We are using the c-more ea9 hmi. I believe i may have found a way to do this with that in the event manager. It has a math function. Can i set that up to add the time to the preset cycle times?

why rely upon the operator to let you know that lunch break is over? If the machine has been down for x amount of time, then add the required time to the cycle timer presets whenever the machine starts up.

I think Bit_Bucket has the better idea here. Putting machinery control logic in an HMI is almost never a good idea. If the machine has been idle for more than 'x' minutes, then add offsets to the timer presets, otherwise, don't add them.

In the HMI, don't reference the Timer Preset directly, use some other user tag for the preset. In the PLC, if the idle time offset needs to happen, add the offset to the timer preset, if the idle time offset is not active, simply move the HMI tag to the preset (without the offset).

This arrangement should improve quality without having to rely on the operator to remember to push a button after lunch and can take care of other situations in which a machine sits idle.

You should also put an indicator on the HMI to inform the operators that the idle time offset is active. You also could put the offset values for each timer in the HMI on the password protected page.

I understand what your saying and I do agree that that might be a better route to take. If i can get it to work properly it should go pretty smoothly. The hardest part will be to find out how much of an idle time can we allow before time needs to be added to the cycles.

Thanks for the input!