Logix5000 MSG Instruction: Timed Out check box?

Rockwhale

Hello All! First Post!

What is the "Timed Out" Check Box used for on the MSG instruction in Logix5000? This check box is located under the configuration dialog at the bottom right side underneath "Done Length:"

Looking forward to some insight on this question. Mostly curious but root is that I was looking for a way to disable the message without applying any code changes.

Hello All! First Post!

What is the "Timed Out" Check Box used for on the MSG instruction in Logix5000? This check box is located under the configuration dialog at the bottom right side underneath "Done Length:"

Looking forward to some insight on this question. Mostly curious but root is that I was looking for a way to disable the message without applying any code changes.

What I use it for is to force the message to timeout. The checkbox triggers the message to timeout and you get the error message from your message instruction like it did time out. You can then test your retry logic, or the logic you use to trap such errors.

Your logic can then retry, like when you are testing that a port failure or a power loss on your ethernet switch won't mess up your program completely.

Ethernet messages have a large default communication timeout. I didn't look it up ... maybe 30 seconds? I normally set the timeouts on ethernet to the minimum time. It's still way too long, but the logic sort-of functions when we lose an ethernet switch. It doesn't happen often .. but everthing else still needs to work when it does happen.