Contrologix 5000: Add-On Instruction Import

Colt Hero

I just imported four add-on instructions (which I believe are Rockwell AOIs), and they appeared to import OK, and I see them in the "tree" structure to the right, and their data types also appear, but when I open my new routine and drop down the P_AIn block, the rung line is red and there's a red "x" at the beginning of the rung to the far left. And when I click the tag drop-down box it doesn't show the tag list entries to pick from.

Is it my new routine that's "dead" (and not the AOI) that's the problem? There's also some kind of 'disabled' indicator inside the AOI when you expand it. It's at the very bottom in the list ... can't remember offhand what it was for ...

thats because the AOI isnt filled out with the required tags yet. or it is and its not filled out properly.

go to a new line and just place any instruction on the line, say an ADD. notice you will get the same red line and red X to the left. Its because the instruction that you just added to the logic has no tags within it so its not 'setup' properly yet, the red X is there to show you just that.

Oh. Well, I tried to put the tag to it (the P_AIn), but I had to type it in because the drop down had no tags in the list. It seemed like the block wasn’t being recognized.

I did try adding a MOV on the same rung, and that one did show the tag list.

I’ll try again tomorrow. Thanks!

After choosing an AOI you must assign a tag to this specific instance of the AOI. Just as a UDT is merely a defined structure to use it you must create a specific instance tag. The same is true for the AOI. By assigning a tag name you create a memory structure with all the components of this specific AOI instance. You then go on to define input and output tags.

After choosing an AOI you must assign a tag to this specific instance of the AOI. Just as a UDT is merely a defined structure to use it you must create a specific instance tag. The same is true for the AOI. By assigning a tag name you create a memory structure with all the components of this specific AOI instance. You then go on to define input and output tags.

Yeah, I did that, but I just realized ... LOL ... I had defined the data type as REAL for the tags. They needed to be type "P_Aln". That's why they weren't showing up in the drop-down list.

Next question:
=========

I'm also trying to use the "P_ValveSO" add-on instruction for a digital valve. But my valve doesn't have any feedback Limit Switches on it - and it looks like I cannot "un-check" the Limit Switch inputs in the Configuration pop-up window for this AOI (because ... why ... it's 'locked' with a signature ... is that how this works)??

So ... what ... I need to make my own AOI now?? Is that what people do?

Last edited:
So ... what ... I need to make my own AOI now?? Is that what people do?

Usually you can break the signature and still program. You have to do it offline though, and then do a re-download.

On an AOI simply type a tag name, then create new Ctrl+w, hit enter. It knows what data type it needs to be. You can create the tag in advance, but to me it's easier to do as I drop an instance.

Signature should not be a reason you can't change configuration tags. Sounds like you are just confused. Each Rockwell created AOI should have documentation to help you. Also there are HMI faceplates that you can use to help setup your configurations.

Last edited: