Trying to understand absolute homing in of a servo in Studio 5000

Revanth

Hi,

I am trying to get my head around as to what the absolute homing does. Below is a statement that I read in the logix 5000 motion instruction manual

" In this case, the absolute homing process establishes the true absolute position of the axis by applying the configured Home Position to the reported position of the absolute feedback device."

Can someone elaborate with some example. I highly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Revanth :confused:

The absolute homing mode can be used when your motor is equipped with an absolute encoder. I belive it works for both single- and multiturn absolute encoders.

This allows you to turn off the drives and still maintain the absolute position, even if the motors are moved around.

See page 49 about ARP in this document for a more detailed explanation.

But remember, that even "True Absolute" doesnt make it more absolute, than it will still need a homing after the mechanic disassembles the machine (Removes the motor) and moves the end effector around.

There is no such thing as "True Absolute"