CompactLogix 5370 - saving recipe data to SD card on each write

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm using a 1769-L16ER-BB1B. I'm storing recipe data in an array of user-defined data types. For disaster recovery purposes, I need to make sure the recipe data is retained if the controller should shuffle off to automation heaven. Can I save just the array to the SD card? Ideally, I'd like to save it from the logic after every write to the array.

If the tag values are saved along with the program, then perhaps saving the whole lot after every write to the array would be the better option.

Can anyone show me how to do this from the logic or point me to a Knowledgebase article that details it? I've searched the Knowledgebase but couldn't see what I needed.

Hmmm. I didn't take a close enough look. The PDF describes how to use some application code to read/write data to NVM but, as far as I can see, doesn't give a link to download it from. I've searched Rockwell's sample applications and googled but I'm coming up empty. Any ideas?

If you look at the sample programs that came with Logix500/Studio500/LogixDesigner, you will find a sample program for writing tag values to the SD card. It's something along the lines of CF_ReadWrite.acd.

I have used it and made a stripped down version that I think was much more simplified for what I was doing compared to the sample. I won't have access to until sometime next week. I can share it with you if you want.

Looks like they are already on your system

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=54206

Look at your computer under:
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\v17\Rockwell Automation
or
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\v16\Rockwell Automation

In this folder find Logix-AP007B-EN-P.pdf - this is a manual
To sample files there too:
CF_Read_Write.ACD
CF_Read_Write_Example.ACD

V16 and V17 supports controllogix only
v18 supports compactlogix too

Thanks both. I'd just found Knowledgebase article 28539 which led me to the same conclusion. You would have thought they might have mentioned it in the manual.

Logix5000 newbie alert!

So how do I incorporate their CF_Read_Write.ACD logic into my project?

Do I open their .ACD file and export the program (*.L5X) so that I can import it into my project as a separate program? Would I be able to use it from within my own program?

Or do I have to export/import each of their routines one at a time into my existing program?

Logix5000 newbie alert!

So how do I incorporate their CF_Read_Write.ACD logic into my project?

Do I open their .ACD file and export the program (*.L5X) so that I can import it into my project as a separate program? Would I be able to use it from within my own program?

Or do I have to export/import each of their routines one at a time into my existing program?

Ctrl-C : Ctrl-V works

or

Drag and Drop

It helps if you have both programs open in separate instances of Logix/Studio 5000

Thanks daba.

I tried importing the sample program into my project as a separate scheduled program. It brought all the routines and data types into my existing project in one fell swoop. It seems to have been written so that all the tags I need to access have been created as controller tags so that I can access them from my program.

The sample program, as written will only handle a maximum file size of 4,500 bytes. I need to be able to handle 55,000 bytes. Luckily, the manual includes instructions on how to edit it to make it capable of handling up to 65,000 bytes.

CF Card Add On Instruction

I have made a series of AOIs that are the sample program provided by Rockwell, split up into AOIs that are for each type of command. CF_Card_Present, CF_Card_Create_Delete_File, & CF_Card_Read_Write! If these interest anyone please let me know. It was time consuming, and nerve racking to complete, but I had fun.

CF Card Add On Instruction

I have made a series of AOIs that are the sample program provided by Rockwell, split up into AOIs that are for each type of command. CF_Card_Present, CF_Card_Create_Delete_File, & CF_Card_Read_Write! If these interest anyone please let me know. It was time consuming, and nerve racking to complete, but I had fun.
That would be great to have! Thanks for your work, JensonScarrow