RSLinx problems...

So things changed...

I got it working (mainly be fixing the ethernet speeds on the laptop and PLC to 100mbs half duplex instead of auto negotiate).

Then to throw a spanner in the works - work designated that I needed to be on 2 sites at once - hence using my VPN to support the one we are talking about above.

It nearly works - but not quite. I can go online to the PLC and do online edits - but if I try and do a complete download it fails...

Network connection good both ends (30mbs +) but its as though a bottle neck is occurring somewhere??

I might give it up as a bad job!

I'd forgotten about the fixed speed trick. It's been awhile since I've had to do that but when I used to spend a lot more time working with wireless it was a must.

As to the VPN, that makes it a whole different animal. Now you have routers involved and depending on the setup, if your routing through the Internet, the routers are probably going to have QoS settings, firewalls, etc... that can wreak havoc on your connection. It sounds like the connection is setup to prevent streaming to keep the bandwidth load low. Having said that, it can be made to work, but "work" is the operative word, it takes work.

I'd forgotten about the fixed speed trick. It's been awhile since I've had to do that but when I used to spend a lot more time working with wireless it was a must.

As to the VPN, that makes it a whole different animal. Now you have routers involved and depending on the setup, if your routing through the Internet, the routers are probably going to have QoS settings, firewalls, etc... that can wreak havoc on your connection. It sounds like the connection is setup to prevent streaming to keep the bandwidth load low. Having said that, it can be made to work, but "work" is the operative word, it takes work.

I'd love to get it working - just for my own understanding...
I've taken off all firewalls on both laptops and the client side does not appear(…) to be blocking anything. I'm not sure if I could get around QoS though?