PE Controls Systems vs. Electronics

alexbeatle

Hello, all!

I'm on the cross-roads between applying for the:
PE in Controls Systems - https://ncees.org/engineering/pe/control-systems/
and
PE in Electrical - Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications - https://ncees.org/engineering/pe/electrical-computer/

I've studied Electronics Engineering in school, but have mainly practiced Controls Systems for my occupation ever since. So I feel I have good prerequisites to passing either.

Any suggestions on which one to go after, please? I.e. which one is more useful, job demanded, etc, etc.

Thank you.

What sort of industries are you working in, and do you want to work in in the future ?

I have Control Systems PE (in Washington State) and it's really only been useful for my business cards. I don't do municipal or power generation work, so there's not much call for having a PE design their controls.

What sort of industries are you working in, and do you want to work in in the future ?
I have Control Systems PE (in Washington State) and it's really only been useful for my business cards. I don't do municipal or power generation work, so there's not much call for having a PE design their controls.

Here in California, Manufacturing engineers are exempt from having PE and that's where I normally practice.

https://www.upwardlyglobal.org/get-hired/california-professional-licensing-guides/california-profressional-engineer-professional-licensing-guide/

However, I had to give up opportunities for the government issued projects, because I did not have PE. Plus looking for professional upgrade.

I'm debating which one to apply for, since - Electrical PE (Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications) is more general, hence more versatile. But Controls Systems PE is more particular to the field I've mostly been associated with in the past (and probably the future)

Last edited:
Getting both is really easy. In most states, once you get one you do not need to jump through the hoop to fulfill the requirement list.

I would value EE more than CSE even though Control System PE is what I have. I run into someone that got something like 4 PE in different disciplines.