Can't add or config new modules with RSLogix 5000

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to figure out why it wont let me add or configure any modules on this new processor (CompactLogix L30ER).

I tried to add new modules by typing in the cat. number and doing the discover new modules. They show up but just wont let me create a new one! I get the same error message no matter what I do... Any suggestions for me?

15d5e02.png

Do you have the Module in question in the Chassis?

If so open RSLinx and see if you see if the module shows up there.

Then right click on the module and go to properties.

Write down the exact module type shown and the revision and slot # of the module.

Now with this info go back to RSLogix5000 and right click on I/O Configuration and select ADD NEW MODULE.

From here you should be able to install the new module with the information you just got from linx.

I don't have the software in front of me but that is the general skinny of how to do this.

BCS

Do you have the Module in question in the Chassis?

If so open RSLinx and see if you see if the module shows up there.

Then right click on the module and go to properties.

Write down the exact module type shown and the revision and slot # of the module.

Now with this info go back to RSLogix5000 and right click on I/O Configuration and select ADD NEW MODULE.

From here you should be able to install the new module with the information you just got from linx.

I don't have the software in front of me but that is the general skinny of how to do this.

BCS

I tried everything you mentioned and I still get the same error when i try to "create"

The modules do show up in rslinx and while im only and do the "discover module" option.

2ex3tr4.png

Here is a image of while online and the modules showing up under the discovery tab. I can add them online since my processor doesn't allow that option.

2s9slfq.png

I'm pretty sure that only CONTROL-Logix will let you add modules while online ... you seem to be working with COMPACT-Logix ...

I haven't worked with the specific model that you're using - but I'd bet (pocket change only) that's your problem ...

since CONTROL-Logix and COMPACT-Logix are both programmed using RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 many people think that the platforms are the same "under the hood" ... that's a popular MIS-conception ...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that only CONTROL-Logix will let you add modules while online ... you seem to be working with COMPACT-Logix ...

I haven't worked with the specific model that you're using - but I'd bet (pocket change only) that's your problem ...

since CONTROL-Logix and COMPACT-Logix are both programmed using RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 many people think that the platforms are the same "under the hood" ... that's a popular MIS-conception ...

You are correct. The compactlogix will only allow me to add modules offline. I tried both ways out of curiosity. No matter what I do I still get the same error code when trying to add a module.

I'm working on a solution right now and will update the forum if it works.

Have you tried it with Version 20 of RSLogix 5000? (I'm guessing it probably wouldn't even let you go online if this was the issue, but just wondering)

You sound like you are very familiar with how to do this, but just to check again......

After you get the exact Cat#, Revision # and Slot # from RSLinx......
You go to your RSLogix5000 Software,
Then go Offline...... (good catch Ron, thanks)o_O
Right Click in your I/O Config and say add module.
Then you just add in the 3 pieces of information you got from RSLinx....
Say Ok....
Then press save......
Then DOWNLOAD to the processor....
Once you have done this you should be able to see the module in your I/O Tree when you go online.

If this doesn't work then maybe you are really having a firmware revision issue,
I would not be sure on this as I have never used anything higher than V20.

Best Of Luck
BCS

You sound like you are very familiar with how to do this, but just to check again......

After you get the exact Cat#, Revision # and Slot # from RSLinx......
You go to your RSLogix5000 Software,
Then go Offline...... (good catch Ron, thanks)o_O
Right Click in your I/O Config and say add module.
Then you just add in the 3 pieces of information you got from RSLinx....
Say Ok....
Then press save......
Then DOWNLOAD to the processor....
Once you have done this you should be able to see the module in your I/O Tree when you go online.

If this doesn't work then maybe you are really having a firmware revision issue,
I would not be sure on this as I have never used anything higher than V20.

Best Of Luck
BCS

I right click on the I/O config and then add module tab. I find my module(s) and then hit create... No matter how I do I still get this error.

I created a new project with a different processor and was able to add a module no problem!!!! If someone gets bored tonight start a new project with the L30ER processor and try to add a module and see if you are getting the same message I am.

If someone gets bored tonight start a new project with the L30ER processor and try to add a module and see if you are getting the same message I am.

I was able to do it (add a module) using firmware 21.11

Then I changed the firmware rev to 24.11 (the only other rev I have installed) and I was able to create another module and add it to the chassis.

I couldn't duplicate what you saw.

While we're grasping at straws; you mentioned that you created a new project with a different processor and it worked.

Have you tried creating a new project with the *same* processor, just to see if that works? Or does not work?

Last edited: