MSG between Contrologix and PLC5

I am trying to get a MSG to work between a Contrologix PLC re ethernet and a PLC 5 on DH+.
I've attached a pdf illustrating the connections.
I've tried a couple of different combinations CIP routings with no success. 1,2.192.168.1.2,3,21 was one attempt.

Maybe someone has some insight?

BTW the tree view within RXLogix5000 I've seen described in other threads does seem to be available to me.

what firmware version is the PLC5?

I cannot recall the exact rev, but I have some at Series E Rev B2 that will not talk to ControlLogix, but the Series E Rev E will talk.
Mind you, all my PLC5s are Ethernet types, except for the 5/80C units, which have Ethernet sidecars.

Last edited:
If the 1756-DHRIO is not being used for RIO scanning, it does not need to be in the I/O tree of the ControlLogix that is sending this MSG. If it is in the I/O tree, you can Inhibit it, otherwise it will sit there showing a connection fault all the time.

The CIP path endpoint for this kind of message is the 1756-DHRIO module itself. The module then processes the message on DH+ according to the channel (A or B) and the destination node number, and sends the reply or confirmation back over CIP.

The sketch is useful but not completely clear about which Slot number each module is in. ControlLogix chassis always start at Slot 0 on the left, and modules (including CPUs and network modules) can be in any position. The CPU in the left-most Slot 0 is a tradition, but it's only necessary in a limited number of applications where only a default slot number is available.

The sketch is useful but not completely clear about which Slot number each module is in. ControlLogix chassis always start at Slot 0 on the left, and modules (including CPUs and network modules) can be in any position. The CPU in the left-most Slot 0 is a tradition, but it's only necessary in a limited number of applications where only a default slot number is available.

This is a good point. The suggested message path assumes the modules are accurately located in the diagram, where slot 0 is the first slot-like rectangle and the larger box is the power supply.

If there is continued difficulty, I suggest posting screen shots of the relevant chasses in RS-Linx, specifically of node 192.168.1.1 with the backplane expanded and node 192.168.1.2 expanded all the way into the DHRIO channel with the PLC-5 target (node 21) visible.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I made the illustration based off of my memory of their in house drawings. Obviously not clear. Sorry.

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get to the PC and look at the RXLinx tree.
I've attached tree portions for the target devices.

I would like to set up a MSG instruction in the PLC with the arrow to read data from the PLC5 highlighted.

RSLinx.jpg

In the Message Configuration example above, try the following path:

Enter 1,1 (and RSL5K may substitute the name of the ENET/B module if it had one)

Then follow this with 2, 172.27.152.220, 1, 3

Then, with DH+ selected for the Communication Method, use channel A and node 2 (assuming the highlighted processor, LMS, is the intended PLC-5 target).

For message type in the Configuration tab, use the appropriate PLC-5 types if possible, and make sure source and destination addresses exist and are compatible.

Last edited:
Great.

And if you need to create a path like this in the future, there is a RS-Logix 5000 help topic titled "specify the communication details" with guidelines. I usually poke around to re-find that topic, though if you type the quoted title into help search, it should be the first hit.