Change PowerFlex 525 IP Address

xC0MMAND0x

I have 1x SLC500 and 4x VFDs on Ethernet. I have a new PLC program to download with new IP address information built in.

1. Can I just change the PF525 IPs from RSLinx Classic? It looks like it is editable there, and that seems to be the easiest thing. Any issues with that?

2. What is the proper order of operations? Should I download the new PLC program first, and then change the VFD IP addresses? Or, should I change the VFD IP Addresses and then download the new program?

Production is completely down so I have 10 hours to make these changes (as well as others).

Please advise / throw in any input.

I usually use the USB port in the back and download the parameters I want to change that was. Also I have used Connected Components Workbench to set them up.
Also if there is a keypad you can just change the parameters for the IP address. But don't forget to turn off DHCP/Boot parameter.
I don't think the download really matters there. If PLC is first, it will find the drive when the right IP shows up.

Not specifically an answer to your question, but a useful tidbit...I know with Logix-class PLC's, if the PLC has established a connection to your drive, it won't let you change networking settings with anything except the keypad. Presumably because the Logix-class PLC's treat the drive like I/O and basically tell any software-based attempt to butt in "the grown-ups are talking, go and play somewhere else".

An SLC will *probably* not have the same effect as it will only be using explicit messaging, though I've not tested it to say for sure (I've never used ethernet drives on an SLC for fear of invoking the fury of Ken Roach). If it does, you could just disable the message instructions for a moment, or just unplug the PLC from the switch while you make the changes to your drives.

@XC0MMAND0X, did you get it figured out? Were you able to simply use RSLinx to change the information? I basically have the exact same situation except I have a CompactLogix, Flowmeter (Endress Hauser Promass 100 to be exact), and PowerFlex 525 that were all setup with the wrong subnet mask by an outside company and I am needing to get everything on the right subnet mask.

I've always had the best luck changing the IP address in the parameters instead of messing with BootP and other methods. It works every time, it doesn't require a laptop or cables, and it saves the address in the program backup so if the drive goes out and someone dumps the backup into a new drive it just works as well.

C128 - Set to 1 to enable the address from parameters.
C129 - C132 is each part of the IP address.
C133 - C136 is the Subnet Mask.
C137 - C140 is the Gateway.

Remember to cycle power to the drive after you change the parameters. They are only loaded on bootup.