Keyence Cv2100 Vision System & Mitsubishi Qj71c24-r2

Michael Bell

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using the PLC link function in the Keyence CV2100 Vision system. I need to connect to a Mitsi QJ71C24-R2 RS232 module.

Any problems?
Any hints?
Any comments?

Thanks for any help available.

Mike B

Cv-2100 Question regarding lighting.

I'm using the Cv-2100 and I'm wondering what methods or lighting they/ you are using in the room where you have the software/ machine.

I have the software set up to a homemade machine. There are two large windows in the room that seem to cause a problem during the afternoon , when the most sun comes into the room. Also using florecent lights.
We are using 2 cameras that come with the Cv-2100 and each has a dome light over the unit which seem to work well when the dome light is very close to the unit we are looking at. However, I was wondering if anyone has found that using certain lights, blocking lights/ windows gave more consistant readings.
I should be able to have the lights off in the room and as long as the dome light is close enough to the unit that should be sufficient correct ?
Anyways, just looking for ideas.
Thanks.

Keyence

Hi,
Constant lighting is critical to reliable results.

The flicker from fluorescents can cause problems and sunlight is variable in its intensity so the light levels are changing all the time.

We completely enclosed our system so that it was isolated from fluorescents and sunlight, the results we fine after that. So my advise is use the proper lighting for the job and keep out any variable light and you should be ok.
The older Keyence lamps are high frequency units so there is no flicker.
I think the newer ones are leds.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for responding . I'm just trying to get a idea as to what others are doing and how it worked for them. The enclosure is a possibility. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Deiken

Mr. Bell

I'm not sure what applicantion your using the Cv-2100 for, however Im curious ...
I'm finding that when dust gets on the conv. belt and thus on the units we are scanning, it definately has a impact as well. The machines are in a factory and although not "coated" in dust by any means but still b/c of the units we are scanning are very small and thus trying to pull out defects if they have dust on them then it gets picked up by the cameras. Was/ is dust a problem for you ?
Thanks,

d3ik3n

d3ik3n said:
I'm not sure what applicantion your using the Cv-2100 for, however Im curious ...
I'm finding that when dust gets on the conv. belt and thus on the units we are scanning, it definately has a impact as well. The machines are in a factory and although not "coated" in dust by any means but still b/c of the units we are scanning are very small and thus trying to pull out defects if they have dust on them then it gets picked up by the cameras. Was/ is dust a problem for you ?
Thanks,

d3ik3n
Hi,
We were inspecting small ceramic discs which were quite dusty. We used localised vacuum units to extract as much dust as possible. We were inspecting the discs on both sides so we placed them on a microscope slide and looked from above and below. We had a problem with dust falling on the camera lens that was looking up at the underside of the disc. The vacuum units helped remove most of the dust, however it is still a problem and needs regular cleaning.
Could you introduce some localised air jets and / or vacuum to clean the parts?

We are looking at small units no bigger then a normal button size. Small, plastic, so the vaccum idea might not work with units so small and light weight. However, jets of air is what we have been toying around with. We are looking into making a dust free room as well. That will be difficult however because we have the units being fed into a hopper ( directly from the factory) and then onto a Conv. Belt where one camera gets one side and then the belt flips the unit and then another camera scans the other side.
I'm still in the process of tweaking the software to do what we want for the application we are using it for. How you handled the lighting issue came in handy for how we will deal with it, so thank you.
I'm not sure how your Keyence Rep. is but ours is awesome, always sending emails to me finding out how things are going. I'm hoping the machine will be up and running in about a week, jus ta few more bugs to work out in the software and the machine itself.

d3ik3n--

Last edited:
d3ik3n said:
We are looking at small units no bigger then a normal button size. Small, plastic, so the vaccum idea might not work with units so small and light weight. However, jets of air is what we have been toying around with. We are looking into making a dust free room as well. That will be difficult however because we have the units being fed into a hopper ( directly from the factory) and then onto a Conv. Belt where one camera gets one side and then the belt flips the unit and then another camera scans the other side.
I'm still in the process of tweaking the software to do what we want for the application we are using it for. How you handled the lighting issue came in handy for how we will deal with it, so thank you.
I'm not sure how your Keyence Rep. is but ours is awesome, always sending emails to me finding out how things are going. I'm hoping the machine will be up and running in about a week, jus ta few more bugs to work out in the software and the machine itself.

d3ik3n--
The discs we are inspecting are between 3 and 8mm in diameter ranging from 0.5 to 1.4mm thick. They are quite fragile so we couldn't turn them with a belt. The vacuum was to extract dust from the air because it settles everywhere including the camera lenses and the microscope slide.
The vision system is configured to inspect the discs for surface defects and measures the diameter. We also measure the thickness at another station with a Keyence laser sensor.

Our Keyence reps are both good (one for vision and measurement & one for sensors. I like the fact that they always have samples readily available for trials.

Good luck with your bugs.

I work at a milk bottling factory where we use this exact camera reject system, the bottles pass through a canopy/ enclosure where the camera looks across the conveyor at the bottle label and behind the bottle is a black plastic panel to get a good sharp image, also in this canopy is the foil detect, colour detect and barcode reader. i aint sure about configuring tho as it was done by contractors.

Dear Mr. LongHorn,

I'm curious, I've already asked Mr. Bell, I'm curious as to the enviroment that you have the machine/software in. Mr. Bell says they have it in a low light/light controlled room. It sounds like you have something over the lens, and then a dark background for the sharper image like you said. At the moment I have the floresent lights off in the room where Im testing the machine, there are windows that let light in so I'm covering the lens with a heavy dark cloth. We also have dome lights very close to the Conv. belt so its near the units being scanned.
It really is great software. I'm programming it myself to work with the application that we need it for. Any questions and Im sure myself and Mr.Bell would be happy to help.

d3ik3n

Last edited:
The camera is within a water tight enclosure with the lense looking through a perspec cover, as the bottles get near the camera a PEC is triggered and a ring of white LED lights which are formed in a ring around the lense light up (hence highlighting the area to be scanned), as for the camera controller and Screen, these are situated in a panel about 2 metres away which is where the joypad can be plugged in. this is hooked up to a 300 series siemens PLC but as you are probably aware only give a good or reject signal.

Hope this helps, further info on request,

later LH

As mentioned at the start ours is connected to a Mits Q series PLC via RS232.
There is supposed to be an inbuilt function to support comms to Mits and others, however I couldn't get it to work. I ended up writing comm's routines to read all of the window results back into the PLC. Its actually quite straight forward and works well. We have a number of different programs for different components each with about 10 windows. The data is all logged by an E View front end.

Do you know about the free download from the Keyence Website that allows you to backup the programs, registered screens etc.
go to Keyence Home page/downloads/software/Machine Vision:communications software.

Its best to use ethernet as its quicker.

Quick question,

Is anyone using the OR connection in the back ? Or are you using the "ribbon wire"?
We have the Keyence system telling the other electronical unit we have in place to blow off the defective units. Currently we are using the "ribbon wire" but are being told to use the OR output in the back instead.
Thoughts ?

If you can not close off ambinet light you can use a specific frequency light and a filter on your camera lens. I have used both near infrared and ultrvolet blue to do this job quite effectly. As for extracting dust from small parts I have used a vacuum bed conveyor and air jets in combo to really clean small light weight parts.