studio 5000 software for compact logix

irondesk40

Have some quotes from local AB rep for the studio 5000 software.
5000 Lite was right at $2000
5000 Mini was right at $800

The best i can tell the difference is that the Lite allows you to use function blocks. Is it worth the extra price? Been using the Micorologix for the last few years and before that used the SLC500 for many years. Never used function blocks. Local rep said it was easier to do temperature and pressure and motion with the function blocks but have talked to a friend who works for a integrator and he has been using the Compact Logix for about 3 years now and has never used the function blocks.
Any advice would be appreciated. Do you guys use function blocks that often and if so what can you do that you can not do in regular ladder logix.
Thanks

For me, I use function blocks when scaling analog inputs, sometimes for alarming (1 block for LL,L,H,HH alarms) and PID enhanced block. The PIDE has a lot of functionality behind it, sometimes way to much. There are also some other good instructions-Multiplexers, Low or High Select lets me run PID's in parallel ( i use this sometimes to run a compressor in pressure control but turn down on surge or overcurrent control). I don't think any of it i couldn't do in ladder logic if i wanted to, but it does make it a little easier i believe.

i use the PID instruction in RSlogix 500 quite a bit on some autoclave equipment we developed as well as pressure chambers.
Is the PID instruction like you use in RSLogix 500 under File/Misc. instruction not availiable in Studio 5000 mini, or is that considered a function block so you have to move up to the Lite package.
I am trying to figure out what it is that i currently do now with RSLogix 500 that i will not be able to do with Studio 5000 unless you get at least the Mini version of the software.
Thanks

The PID is still available under the "special" tab in Studio 5000 for use in normal ladder logic such as you are referring to in Logix 500. I was referring to the PIDE instruction which is available in Function Block for Logix/Studio 5000.

thanks, i also read that the SCP instruction is now not in Studio5000. I use that instruction very often in my programs.
I have used the compute instruction and created my own SCP, but have found that the SCP does everything i need without me having to create it.
I read that you can download it as a add on instruction and now trying to find out if you can download it if you just purchase the Studio5000 mini for $800 instead of the Lite for $2000.

Thanks, i called Rockwell and yes you can download it as a add on.
He actually sent me a document that shows what instructions are availiable as Ladder only and what is availiable as Function blocks.
I attached a link to the Logix5000 general instructions set reference manual and looks to me like i will most likely purchase the 5000 studio mini since i do not see anything that at this moment i do not think i could do with Ladder only. Function blocks and structered text is great if that is what you want to use.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

I'm an Integrator and have been using RSLogix5000 (now Studio) for years and I have never used function blocks. I still like ladder and all of my customers specify it has to be ladder. As for the scale command I made my own Add-on instruction a long time ago which I still use today. Don't know why it wasn't included in the standard instruction set for ladder.