Siemens S7-PLCSIM, Simatic Net & OPC

lucifer

Friends,

Simple question. Is it possible to access S7 project tags as OPC items in S7-PLCSIM Simulation environment & Simatic Net ? (Everything is on Desktop & no piece of Siemens hardware)

If I am not clear, let me explain what I am trying to do with Siemens that I have already done with AB in no time. ( Of course I am AB guy :cool: )

Softwares: RSLogix 500 programming software, RS Linx Professional, RSLogix Emulate 500 & Wonderware SCADA (it can be any HMI software of even MS Excel). That's it ........all thing set up & working in harmony I could simulate/ access RSLogix 500 project tags in SCADA software or an OPC client to be more precise.

I am getting a feeling that Siemens would not support this thing without WinCC,WinCC Flex or ProTool. I will be happy to be proved wrong. (I already went through few posts on this site which talks about CP 5611 and other things ....but hey I want it without any hardware !!)

Cheers,

Hi lucifer.

Unfortunately, S7-PLCSIM does not support any communication functions at all. That includes Simatic Net and the OPC Server.

The connection from S7-PLCSIM to STEP7, Protool and Win CC is by some internal "shortcut" that replaces the ordinary MPI connection with the simulated MPI connection to S7-PLCSIM.

To test OPC with Simatic Net software you need a spare CPU.

Enter RS Test Stand

Thanks.

Well, actually I was going to connect S7 with RS Test Stand and I had planned lot of things like test automation and creating test logs to get rid off the annoying testing job but the future looks grim.

Anyways, what I wonder is I could not find a single post about RS Test Stand.... I guess it is a wonderful product but don't understand why it has failed to draw attention of techies in-here.

I would like to hear reviews about people who have used it and also how good is it in testing non AB PLCs and how much beneficial are the test cases and test logs than conventional simulator based testing?

Are you listening?

You can do it, but you need a spare CPU (or get the CPU that you intend to use anyway).

lucifer said:
Anyways, what I wonder is I could not find a single post about RS Test Stand.... I guess it is a wonderful product but don't understand why it has failed to draw attention of techies in-here.
One reason I can think of is the price tag for RS Test Stand.