Dispenser positioning ideas??

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Friends,
I have a project that may be coming up shortly. The project is based on a dispensing line, the attached pdf. file has a quick sketch of what the equipment will look like. The top solid belt conveyor will carry items for tray loading. Second bottom conveyor will carry plastic trays about 1’ wide 2’ long. The bottom conveyor ( tray feed conveyor) is a chain driven conveyor, meaning instead of a solid belt it has two chains on each side of the conveyor running the whole length of the conveyor.
Once the tray is in a loading position detected by photo switch ( not shown in a sketch and would be at the 1st position) tray would stop and wait for the 1st item to be loaded. Once item has passed the photo eye ( shown on sketch top conveyor) the tray brake pad will release and once the 2nd loading position is detected the brake pads will engage waiting for another item to drop.
The issue I’m having here is that the trays are completely flat on both sides thus eliminating any idea to detect any of the seven positions on the tray. Also the tray feed conveyor is running continually.
I was thinking to place seven photo switches to catch the trays side each switch for every position. Please I’m open to any suggestions. Most likely a micrologix 1500 will be used.

Are you refering to installation of the discs to the tray or the tray drive conveyor?

I would install the discs on the tray.
Mount the sensor along the side of the conveyor.

If you cannot modify the trays, maybe you could use a servo to index a stop to each of the 7 locations, then allow the tray to exit.

Istallation of metal disks to over 300 trays would be something thats costly. And the problem with the servo is that the tray can move on the chain driven conveyor without notice to the servo drive, thats whay it could not be accomplished. I was thinking to istall a servo driven acme screw to the brake pads. Onece the first position of the tray would be detected by a prox the pads would close and the servo would take over.

I was thinking to istall a servo driven acme screw to the brake pads. Onece the first position of the tray would be detected by a prox the pads would close and the servo would take over.

This approach would also make changing the number of "drops" or the gaps between product changeable by a HMI.

I could also install seven prox switches for each position, and space them out proportionally to the spacing of the tray.