CPU 5/02's 'CPU FAULT' is flashing red

syed1999

I have an Allen Bradely chassis 1747-A7. In it is a CPU 5/02 processor. It has recently started giving 'CPU FAULT' red flashing sign. The software that is in the computer which is supposed to communicate to it via PLC is WINTELLIGENT LINX.
If I take this CPU to another chasis which is working fine it works there OK but moving it back it again starts giving fault sign. Trouble shooting section of AB recommends to monitor 'Status File Word S:6' for major codes. But I have no idea where is it located. I will appreciate greatly any help that you can offer.

Sincerely

Syed

Possibly, there is a card in one of the other slots which is causing the faults. I recommend turning off the power first, then reseat all of the cards (slide them out about an inch and push them back in). There are release tabs on the top and bottom of each card that need to be pressed in to slide them out, and check to be sure that they latch back solidly when you slide the cards back in.

If that does not help, and you have no way to monitor the status file to narrow it down to a particular slot, then you may have to exchange parts one at a time until you get lucky.

Also, the power supply itself can be a source of faults.

How long will the SLC run before it gives the fault?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I did all that you have mentioned i.e

a) turned the power off, CB off etc. It did not work
b) swapped power module from another another chasis (which is working)
fine). Still CPU shows the fault sign
c)I took out all the cards, CPU and I/O card and reseted them in a new backplane. Still did not work.
d) I swapped the position of the entire chasis with another chasis. Now both chasis CPUs are flashing fault. Misery multiplied.
e) We worked with this CPU for a few years and it worked fine until recently and now it never goes to the run mode.

Thank you for your advice. I somehow need to know where to get the 'Status file' and how to open it.

Sincerely

Syed

For the next step you, or some company you hire, will have to use RSLogix500 software to communicate with the CPU for a more detailed examination of the nature of the fault.

Look at the programs installed on the PC that has WinLinx installed. It probably has RSLogix500 on it, if it has been used in the past for programming. You will also need a serial cable which maybe with this PC. You may need some help from a local integrator here.