PLC2 A.I. ICOM cable for serial

Ken Schiebel

Hi,
I need to make or obtain a PLC2 cable that can be used for old A.I. software. It converts serial 9 pin directly to 15 pin D-Sub on PLC2. Ones I have seen are powered cables. Does anyone have a pinout, parts list/diagram of this cable? OR Do you know where to buy a relatively cheap one? Is there another un-powered one that will do this job?
Thanks,
Ken.

AI-2 software worked with a port-powered "Smart Cable" called the 9399-L2103 that had an AC power cord. There were rare L2-300NP "port-powered" ones, but it's unlikely they would work with a modern laptop because of the typically reduced port power available on those RS-232 ports.

There's an Australian company that makes a PLC-2 programming package and sell a version of the "smart cable". www.austglobal.com

B&B Electronics (www.bb-elec.com) sells a variety of RS-232 to "current-loop" converters that match the PLC-2 front port smart cable at least on paper. I have not been able to find anything about applying them with AI-2 software.

Thanks Ken Roach.
I found the austglobal and e-mailed them this afternoon whether their cable will work with A.I. It is not a powered one. Do you know for sure if it definitely works?

The Company Line

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything for sure. I know that the products my company makes and sells work together correctly and as advertised, but I can't vouch for the low-cost alternatives.

Sorry dudes, but for controllers built during the Reagan Administration that's the way it is.

Thanks, Rockwell/AB no longer sells this cable. I was hoping to find a dwg so that I could have one built in the shop.

Good Timing

I was just asked to reprogram 4 PLC2s. Not having software was going to be a big issue, and AB wanted an astonomical price for the software. This place may be just the thing I was looking for! Thanks guys.

Matt

The Roach Doctrine

Make sure the Austglobal software supports the PLC-2 model you need to work on, Mathias; last time they changed the website it only supported PLC-2/20, and they were planning 2/05 and 2/15. The most popular PLC-2 models were PLC-2/30 and the 2/16 and 2/17 Mini-PLC2 variants but they don't say anything about those.

I'll re-state the Roach Doctrine for PLC-2 Work:

If you don't already know how to do it, and you don't already have the tools, contract with somebody who does.

It's cheaper and faster in every case to not have to learn an old platform with expensive support tools.

PLC2

Thats what my first thought was, but the PLC only has 32 digital ins and 16 digital outs. How complicated can it be, without temperature or analog? Not very is my thought on it. But hey, they are paying me by the hour if I get the bid, and it adds yet another PLC to my experince list.

oh well

THe PLC 2 is a mini style, and the aussie software wont work with it. Should be fun replacing them with a SLC. No program, and only 3 pages of 20 on the electrical prints! Oh Boy! ;)