PLC Values to PC Database

dmmons

I have a project where I need to output data to a PC database (could be either Access or SAP, don't know yet) from a PLC via Ethernet.

PLC is a Compactlogix 1769-L33ER.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1) Install WinWedge Pro on the customers PC to monitor the port and move the data into the appropriate locations in the database.

2) Use an RTA 490NBX gateway between the PC and PLC to read the PLC tags and send them to the PC.

The messages would be in ASCII.

Is this a good way to do this? Is there a better way?

I don't think the 1769-L33ER has a standard RS232 serial port, just a USB port and ethernet. The USB port is used for programming. I'd seriously consider using an OPC Server.

With Ignition you could just buy the Bridge module which gives full function data connection between PLC and the db of your choice. Last time I checked it was around $2500.