Siemens SIMATIC TI505 (Texas Instruments) conversion to AB

antsrealm

Hi,

I am currently looking at having to convert a SIEMENS SIAMTIC TI505 plc into an AB PLC. Let me start this off by saying I don't know much about the Siemens line but I know a fair bit about the AB side of things.

From what I've been told there is a PC connected to this PLC and it's running some kind of texas instruments software / ladder that controls the PLC.

I have attached some files of the code and a photo and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what software I need and what documentation so I can understand what is happening in this program.

Thank you.
Tony.

PLC.jpg

Attachments

• Stretch WRAP LADDER LOGIC.doc
    292.5 KB · Views: 167
Sure, That's from a TISOFT file.
Couple ways to program the 505 series.

TISOFT , dos based but you can get it to run on Windows w/ some fiddling.

APT , never used it but I believe it can also talk to the controllers.

505 Workshop , windows based, product by FasTrak http://www.fast-soft.com/page.php?20

The 505s main ladder is really straightforward. Siemens has the programming manual somewhere on their website, I couldn't find it in my links anymore but Google should get you there.

For variables you'll have
X/Y(digital I/O), WX/WY(analog I/O or specialty module)
C (Internal Contact, bool), V (INT16, signed or unsigned), V. (Float or Double), TC (Timer/Counter, TCP being the preset and TCC being the actual accum), STW(status words), etc.

The 505s have these SFP(Special Function Programs), Think of them as subroutines in more of a text format.

One note, If you use 505 Workshop, it will convert the TISOFT files into its own format(.fss). You can't go backward easily so don't discard the old tisoft files.

Yeah, those are tisoft files.

You *should* be able to convert them w/ the full version of Workshop. But an old version of TISOFT will work just as well.(I've gotten it working in Win7, but it takes sp,e compatibility mode settings.

Yeah, those are tisoft files.

You *should* be able to convert them w/ the full version of Workshop. But an old version of TISOFT will work just as well.(I've gotten it working in Win7, but it takes sp,e compatibility mode settings.

Ok, so I have just created a MS-DOS 6.22 VM using VMWare and copied over the Tisoft application and the project files. Now the questions start...

Which application should I run as there is a few exe and bat files. And which of the program files should I open ?

Thanks,
Tony.

Hmm, looks like I am running TISOFT 2 and even then it says I need to convert the file so it must of been from TISOFT 1 and probably why Workshop 505 didn't open it. Anyway I got it open using TICONV to convert it then opened it using TI505.bat and went to offline mode. So now I can try and work out what these SFPGM9 things are doing and try and work out the 4 high speed counters and analouge in and outs :O

If I can find a way to get these files back off the VM and into Windows again I'll try and re-open the converted files with 505 workshop.

So I worked out the SFPGM's are sub routines and I was able to view then in TISOFT 2 as structured text so that is good. The next unknown instruction is this one. Anyone know what it does ??

what is this.jpg

Event drum, a sequencer, for each step you can select which coils on the right hand side are active.
So at step 4 when C1027 becomes active it will turn on C1010

That screenshot of the Event Drum brings back some memories!

It's been a few years since I did any programming with the TI's, but I've only ever used the DOS based TISOFT. We never bothered with any of the Windows based offerings at the time. The last version I remember using was TISOFT 6.3.

The Timer/Event Drum simulates an electromechanical Drum Sequencer, or Cam Timer. In my experience, it was used more for complex state machines, or closed loop process control, but it can be used for simpler sequence driven logic.

It has 16 TIME or EVENT, or TIME and EVENT STEPS and 15 Outputs. Each of the 16 STEPS can turn any combination of the 15 Outputs ON or OFF as required. In your screenshot I can only see up to STEP 10, but all those 10 STEPS are used i.e. parameterized. Unless programmed otherwise, the EDRUM executes all 16 STEPS sequentially each time it runs. Also, there are only 6 of the 15 Outputs in use, C1008 - C1013. MASK values for unused Outputs are ignored as they are defined as C0000, which is an unusable address.

In your example, there are 2 FLAG Inputs to the EDRUM. C1007 should be the START FLAG, and C1000 should be the ENABLE/RESET FLAG. You need C1000 ENABLE/RESET ON before C1007 can START the EDRUM.

The PRESET parameter is set to 1, so the when the EDRUM STARTS, it begins at STEP 1. STEP 1 does not have an EVENT FLAG assigned, but does have a COUNT (CNT) value of 1. If you'll notice the SEC/CNT parameter is set to 0.100 (100ms), whereas the default is .001 (1ms). So a 100ms timebase was intentionally set here for the EDRUM. This is the time base which each STEP counts down from, according to its CNT value. A CNT value of 0, with no EVENT FLAG, means the STEP will advance to the next STEP immediately. So when the EDRUM STARTS at the PRESET STEP 1, it counts down 1 times the time base = 1 x 100ms, as does STEP 2 and STEP 3. So by the time the EDRUM reaches STEP 4, 300ms has elapsed. None of STEPS 1-3 turn any of the 6 Outputs ON, but they do set them all OFF, as they have a value of 0 in the MASK. This acts as a primer to set all the Outputs OFF before commencing the sequence proper. It then advances to the next STEP...

STEP 4 is EVENT driven only, as it has a FLAG assigned, C1027, but does not have a CNT value. So this means as soon as the FLAG C1027 is ON, STEP 4 sets C1010 ON, as it has a value of 1 in the MASK, and sets all the other Outputs OFF, as they have a value of 0 in the MASK. It then advances to the next STEP...

STEP 5 is also EVENT driven only. So as soon as Input X21 is ON, it sets C1012 to ON, but now sets C1010 to OFF, along with the other 0 value Outputs in the MASK. It then advances to the next STEP...

STEP 6 is TIME driven only. Here a CNT value of 5 gives a delay of 500ms, or 0.5sec (5 x 100ms). Then it sets C1009 and C1013 ON. It also sets the other Outputs OFF according to the MASK. This STEP acts as a half second de-bounce time for the Input X21 that came on in STEP 5. It then advances to the next STEP...

STEP 7 is similar to STEP 5, except it does not have a de-bounce time included it its own STEP, or in the next STEP. As soon as Input X20 is ON, C1009 and C1013 are maintained ON from the last STEP, but also it now brings ON C1011. It then advances to the next STEP...

STEP 9 and 10 are both 100ms delays, which maintain C1009 yet again, but set C1013 OFF. What happens after that I can't be sure without seeing STEPS 11 to 16.

When the EDRUM finishes STEP 16, the EDRUM Output, C1023, is set ON. This is usually used, among other things, to reset the sequence, or enable the next sequence in a larger sequence.

Note 1: When I say a STEP sets an Output OFF, or indeed ON, I mean it writes a 0 or a 1 to that memory address location. The program logic external to the EDRUM may write the same value, or an opposite value to the same memory address location. It's important to remember that the EDRUM is writing values of 0 and 1 to addresses, according to the MASK, and not just the values of 1 that you see. You can use the EDRUM to maintain the required state, such as your C1009 FLAG, or it can be done externally. In the case of C1012, which is enabled by X21. If this is the only place these addresses are directly used with each other, then C1012 will always be ON when STEP 5 is active, and always be OFF when it's inactive. Were you to program X21 on a rung directly to C1012, then, scan sequence aside, when the Input is ON, C1012 will always be ON, regardless of the STEPS in the EDRUM.

Note 2: If the ENABLE/RESET FLAG, C1000, and the START FLAG, C1007, are both ON and the EDRUM is running, and the ENABLE/RESET FLAG goes OFF. Then the EDRUM Output, C1023, is set OFF and the STEP is RESET to the PRESET STEP 1, waiting to be re-enabled. However, if the ENABLE/RESET FLAG remains ON while the START FLAG goes OFF, then the EDRUM pauses at the STEP it was at when the START FLAG went OFF. It will wait there until the START FLAG comes back ON, and resume, or the ENABLE/RESET goes OFF and the EDRUM RESETS. Check the logic that controls C1007 and C1000 for a possible pause feature that may have been used. Another possibility is that one of the Input FLAGS could be a JOG Input, used to increment the STEPS manually.

It shouldn't be too difficult to translate this logic over to AB, once you've figured out the sequence. It's basically a state machine.

Out of curiosity, are you converting to an RSLogix 500 or 5000 based controller?

Regards,
George

Thank you both for your feedback. Geospark that explanation makes perfect sense and I couldn't of hoped for better information, thank you especially.

I would be converting it to RSLogix 5000 based hardware.

FYI the remaining steps up to 16 just have a 1 in the CNT and no event flag while the mask changes slightly as the steps progress 100ms at a time up to step 16.

This has really helped me out a lot as this was something that was a bit of a mystery at this stage.

Would you have any documentation for programming in TISOFT as I'd like to have a bit of a read. For example there are 2 HSC cards with 4 encoders connected and a few analog in and outs. I think they are being scaled etc in the text based sub routines.

Thanks,
Tony.

Would you have any documentation for programming in TISOFT as I'd like to have a bit of a read. For example there are 2 HSC cards with 4 encoders connected and a few analog in and outs. I think they are being scaled etc in the text based sub routines.

There are Tisoft and 505 programming reference manuals on the Siemens website, hopefully this link works here

From the printout you had attached, they are doing at least a couple scaling style functions right in ladder.(See rung 1988 or so in the printout)
If they are scaling in the SFPGM, They may have used the simple SCALE and UNSCALE functions.

Coming into this one very late, so not sure where you may have gone with this project. Looks like you got all the needed information about programming software and documentation for the TI505 PLC.

If you were leaning toward the Rockwell conversion because of concern about supporting the old TI platform, you should know about the products and support for TI PLCs available from CTI. Just google "CTI 505".