Failed To Load Tag Config Server

AshleyWolfrum

Hello,

I recently made changes to a preexisting HMI. I was able to create the runtime file but when I try and run the program on my desktop it gives me the error "Failed to Load Tag Config Server". The application loads with no errors, it only shows the error when I press run application.

The file opens fine on my Windows 8 laptop but does not work on either Windows XP desktop where I need to run the HMI. The file I modified came from the Windows XP machine and is currently running fine.

The only changes I made were a few boxes, nothing to the communication setup.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it a problem with Windows XP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum!

We need details.

Exact Software and Version you are using.

Operating System and Service Pack of Development PC.

Operating System and Service Pack of Target PC or HMI(s).

Stu....

WATCOM Tag Database v SQL Tag Database

The MER Runtime file was most likely originally created under Windows XP 32-bit with pre v6.10 FactoryTalk View Studio (FTVS).

Pre FTVS v6.10 uses the older 32-bit WATCOM Tag Database.

The older WATCOM Tag Database is only supported under 32-bit OS.

FTVS v6.10 or later uses the newer Microsoft SQL Server Tag Database.

FTVS v6.10 or later also supports the WATCOM Tag Database for backwards compatability.

But if FTVS v6.10 or later is installed under a 64-bit OS, the WATCOM Tag Database is not compatible.

Only if FTVS v6.10 or later is installed under a 32-bit OS will the WATCOM Tag Database also be installed.

If your Windows 8 OS is 64-bit then FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10 or later will not have installed the older WATCOM Tag Database. So when you first attempted to open the older application under a 64-bit OS, to perform your edits, it should have prompted you to convert the application to the newer Tag Database.

If you then compile the edited application into a pre v6.10 MER Runtime file, the application is now using the newer SQL Tag Database. If you load and run it under the 64-bit OS it will run ok.

If you then attempt to run it under Windows XP 32-bit, using FTVME Station pre v6.10, it will not run. This is because the application is now attempting to load the SQL Tag Database Server, which is not installed or supported within this older environment.

You get the "Failed to load Tag Config Server" error message.

You should upgrade the older version of FTVS, on the Windows XP 32-bit computer, to v6.10 or later.

I've made some assumptions there, but between the jigs and the reels, your problem will most likely be related to the above, or something along those lines.

Regards,
George

Thank you!

Thank you all for your quick replies.
I now know to include as many details as possible when I describe my problem.

Geospark: I was under the impression that the 64 to 32 bit was my problem. The computer that the current HMI is running on is a 32 bit and in order to make changes I had to use the Legacy tag converter so I could make changes on my 64 bit computer.

I will update my software on the 32 bit desktop and hopefully that solves my problem!

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: