Customizable CIP program

kallileo

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are using some CIP sequences on some of our machines. Normally the washing program consists of 5 washing cycles that have some small differences between them. Each cycle being a function block that is called in five step SFC program.
I was wondering if and how it's possible to make a fully customizable washing sequence so the user can make his own program and where the function blocks can be called in any order.
For example the user could select any of five washing cycles from five combo boxes on a HMI screen to construct a washing program in any possible combination.
It's more of a concept than a real problem. I'm just interest how to approach it. o_O

Best way is to create a recipe structure some HMi's have recipe functions or you could store them in the plc data memory areas for example
use standard structure like:
Type of CIP this is a word selectable number 0-2 0 = Pre-Wash 1 = Caustic Wash 2 = Final Rinse
Route of CIP this again is a word 0-xx 0= route 1, 1 = route 2, 2 = route 3 etc.
Then the process parameters like wash duration, scavenge times etc...
By creating these blocks of data then in the plc you can determine the first type by loading block 1 data this gives you the type of sequence and the required data then when complete step onto block 2 etc.
so in your plc software you load 1st set of data memories and by comparing the wash types, routes etc. call the relevant function
example:
if route type = 0 then run pre wash function
if route type = 1 then run Caustic wash function
Etc....
when complete increment to the next block of data
and so on until end of recipe
I have done a number of complex recipe based cip systems and this seems the best way
Simple example:
DW0 = Wash Type
Dw1 = Route
DW2 = time
DW3 = flow set point
etc.. up to dw9
Dw10 = wash type
dw11 = route
dw12 = time
dw13 = Flow set point
etc. up to dw19
load the first set of 10 words into a working area and use these to control the function blocks at end of the sequence increment a pointer to the next set of 10 words and use these and so on.
This is a very simple example and will need some slick programming but it means you only write the blocks once for each function and use the data in these recipe words to call the functions

There are two pieces to this puzzle: sequencing and visualization.

parky talked breifly on sequencing. Basically, you need to create your own sequencer that will read an array (or structure) of numbers, and execute your function blocks, wait for some condition, and then advance to the next step.

There are many ways to skin this cat, and much depends on how your function blocks work and play with each other.

The second piece, which in some ways drives the sequencer part, is how do you want to (a) allow the user to program his sequence, and (b) show the user where the running sequence is at, especially in terms of steps, states (running, stopped-due-to-alarm), what it keeping it from advancing, and so forth.

You may have an array of "recipes" in the PLC that the user can chose from / edit, or you may just have one that can be run and changed on the fly. There are pretty standard programming techniques for all of these scenarios.

Your question is: "Is this possible?". Yes, very much so. All it takes is time and money.

Than you for your suggestions guys. I will to look deeper into it.
I have recently started to play with Codesys OOP programming principles like inheritance and interfaces and I think they can really help to create dynamic behavior during runtime.