connect to micrologix through compactlogix

Ewayut

Hi guys, here is my setup. I have a Micrologix 1400 at a remote location that is coonected to a MDS radio via RS-232, the receiving radio is at the main plant and is connected directly to a compactlogix via rs-232. My question is, can i connect to the Micro from the main plant without disconnecting it from the Compact? What i mean is i can go online with the compact via ethernet but is there a way for me to go through the compact via ethernet and connect to the micro?

Appreciate any help here.

If the protocol on the serial link is DF1 Full Duplex, then you almost certainly can go online with the MicroLogix 1400 by "drilling down" through the CompactLogix virtual backplane from the Ethernet side.

I have done this numerous times in my shop with ControlLogix/CompactLogix and SLC/MicroLogix.

It gets less certain if the protocol is DF1 Half Duplex, and you might have some bandwith limitations due to the radio link and the messaging that already exists between the controllers.

If it's working as-is, why would you want to change it ?

DF1 Full Duplex with No Handshaking is the default setting for a MicroLogix 1400 serial port.

If you enable handshaking, you will need to configure it correctly on both the modem and the MicroLogix, and you will have to be sure that the actual pins are connected correctly.

That is not a risk I would take if I did not have physical access to both devices.