Panelview Component

Tom@Pton

I was sent here for some help. Looks like the right spot from what I have read. Long post.

I have done a few PLC projets, not terribly complicated. Mostly just interlocking of motors, start/stop sequencing etc. About 6 years ago I started using some AB Panelviews. Small ones & again nothing elaborate. Some math involved. A few weeks ago I started the process of a more involved system, still small scale. Sales rep talked me into trying the AB Component series with an ML 1100 and the modbus connection of 3 AB Powerflex 4 drives. Ethernet and wireless router because I am getting tired of switching cords around just to get things programmed. Programming this HMI is like watching snails race. Horribly slow but doable with a small project.
Salesperson that I am, today I talked the owners into a large scale jump in control and feedback via the HMI. I took a look at importing tags. Not possible that I can see. The thought of typing in a hundred or so tags not once but twice is making me rethink the component. I have Panelbuilder & can use it but it just LLS compared to Cmore by automation direct. I have it but haven't used other than to import tags and play around. I will use an AB ML 1400, but am just wondering how hard the interface of the HMI will be especially when talking to the drives. I don't expect to get any help from my AB rep if I have problems.

Thanks for any comments.

I have Panelbuilder & can use it but it just LLS compared to Cmore by automation direct. I have it but haven't used other than to import tags and play around. I will use an AB ML 1400, but am just wondering how hard the interface of the HMI will be especially when talking to the drives. I don't expect to get any help from my AB rep if I have problems.

Thanks for any comments.

I don't know what LLS means. Google wasn't much help...

I have not used the component series, but have read several complaints about them here and elsewhere. I would definitely use c-more or Red Lion before using the component. The PV+ is a nice unit, but in our plant they don't hold up quite as well as the standards and the development software is a buggy PITA. We have good luck with the PV+700, but we lose PV+600s all the time.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by interfacing to the drives?

Are planning to interface the HMI directly to the drives?

Welcome to the forum, BTW, you have definitely found the most responsive place to find solutions to problems with automation and nearly anything else...

Paul

Looks Like something...meaning the graphics are poor.

We are trying to update a process to reduce operater error. The current system is all manually controlled and those that really "know" are now retired or soon to be.

Initial change of control is to provide properly sequenced start & stop of motors. I can do that. Feedback of hard inputs with display of alarms can be worked in as time allows and work progresses. Again I am capable though not fast. The part that I envision problems for me is using MSG & modbus with a ML1400 for feedback/control of the three Powerflex 4 drives via an HMI. First time for these. Sales rep will be here Monday to help with the modbus. I doubt if they are going to volunteer any help with someone elses HMI and that is where I am the least qualified. Just able on the rest of it.

We typically implement HMI --- PLC --- Drives. We have done MicroLogix to Powerflex4 drives using Modbus. Possibly the 1500 if you need more I/O but don't require full speed Ethernet.

I have used the 1500 in the past.

One of the reasons I wanted ethernet was my assumption that adding additional HMI for control and monitoring would be easier. Email or text message to managers when production slows or trouble hits is a big plus in their eyes. Internet access will be made as well.

Please correct that assumption if I am wrong.

I have a lot to do and learn in the same amount of time to control 50 motors that I did when only 5 were involved.

The next 30 will be addressed with another PLC.

The 1500 will do what I need when ordered with the options needed. Done.

The 1400 would have been maxed for I/O and are not expected to be available for some months.

Thank you all.