AB 1336 - fault, parameter defaults and "out of range"

mxx

As the guy who knows the most about electronics and software at my company, I have been put in charge of the PLCs. With the help of the AB user manual and the internet I have been stumbling my way through and have managed to start up a new-to-us machine that has a SLC505 and five 1336 Impact AC motor drives. The machine has since run for about 50 hours over 5 months. This morning one of the AC motor drives faulted and I haven't been able to fix the problem.

The drive is reporting Fault 3023 and shows "Illegal Drv Type". Also in the fault queue is Fault 2028 Inv OverTemp Trp, but the 3023 fault is what tripped the drive. The status LEDs are indicating the current processor is fine and that a drive hard fault occurred on the velocity processor.

After looking at the parameters in the drive it became clear that they had somehow reverted to factory defaults. Other plctalk.net members have also seen this happen as discussed in this thread. Initially I tried correcting all the parameters we had previously customized to their required values.

I haven't been able to do this though because some parameters just will not set to an appropriate value. For example, I cannot change the Nameplate Amps (aka motor nameplate current rating), parameter number 4 from its default value of 0.1 Amps. I have tried manually programming the parameter. I have also tried changing its value via the Quick Motor Tune Procedure. In both cases I receive an "Out of Range" error. Ultimately I am trying to change the nameplate amps value to 2.0 amps, but I have also tried 0.2 amps, 1.1 amps and other values, only successfully changing the value when I enter 0.1 Amps. I can only change the value in the tenths place with the increment/decrement keys if I first change a digit in a different position. The user manual for the drive lists this parameters maximum value as being calculated, but I am not sure how it calculates the maximum value.

I would like to run the autotune diagostic tests, but the drive is reporting via bit 5 of the autotune status parameter (#156) that the drive is not ready to run the tests. I assume this is because of the two faults, but I cannot seem to clear the faults. I have tried to by clearing the fault queue, resetting the drive and power cycling the drive.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas? The user's manual troubleshooting section suggests the following for fault 3023:

1. Recycle the power.​
  2. If the fault does not clear, replace the main control board.​
  3. If the fault still occurs, replace the gate driver board​
It seems to me like I'm pretty firmly at position two in that list, but if there is something else I can try please let me know.

Despite the reporting lites, the processor and its system have gone bad. The drive is toast. It sounds like your drive is quite small since you are trying to enter 2 amps for FLA. If it's anywhere under 50hp, it will not be worth fixing and a new one is needed.

I'm not exactly sure which modern PF drive is a match. Probably a 700 or 700M. The AB guys on here can help you with that.

Of course, it's always worth asking---Do you really need the 1336Force capabilities. Evaluate your needs and then replace with the appropriate PF drive.

Thanks DickDV. You are right, the drive nominal power rating is 2HP. I'll probably pull the drive take a peek inside and then order a new one.