Creating Back Ups

James

I Like your system. I think I will implement a lot of what you're saying. Program names with revision dates is a great idea. Also, I like having a master copy in a folder which has limited access. Fortunately for me, only my boss and I have access to these programs and he's busy running a company so hopefully I can keep Bubba from messing with my stuff lol.

First of all, thank you for all of the great responses. I have many ideas to help me choose which route I'm going to go. My plan is to first document all the assets and create my spreadsheet. And also inventory my hardware and get anything I might need in case of disaster. As far as backing up goes, for now I will just make copies of the programs and put them on the hard drive.

Okay, so if I know my program has comments and I save a copy to the hard drive, it too will have comments?

Also, if I happen to move the offline file to a new folder(I want to organize my folders and sub-folder better) I just have to change the "Project Files Search Path". Is that correct?

Yes, if you're seeing the comments in RSL500, then the file you save will retain those comments. You can move them to wherever you want and just browse to the file location when you go online and it asks you if you want to create a new file or browse to its location.

I have another question regarding all of this...

The RSLogix software and consequently the programs and on a virtual machine. If I create copies and move them to a real machine that is connected to the hard drive that does not have the rslogix software, will all the information in the files transfer correctly? Meaning if I take those copies and open them on another machine(with the software) will my programs be there?

Thanks
Kyle

I have another question regarding all of this...

The RSLogix software and consequently the programs and on a virtual machine. If I create copies and move them to a real machine that is connected to the hard drive that does not have the rslogix software, will all the information in the files transfer correctly? Meaning if I take those copies and open them on another machine(with the software) will my programs be there?

Thanks
Kyle

Yes. The RSLogix500 file will have all the logic, data values and comments available.

I make backups manually and have a folder structure/format that I follow. We integrate for dozens of different customers, so I start with a customer name folder set, then within each of those I have a folder for each type of software involved, in each of those are folders for the current rendition of logic, a folder for development, and a folder for backups. If the customer has ten PLCs running RSLogix 500 code, there should only be ten files in the "RUNNING" folder. Few of our customers have access to software, so I don't have to worry much about folks outside our company making changes to logic, just setpoints.

We also have a google drive and so periodically I will copy all the stuff I know has been changed, to this "cloud" based drive as a second storage location. It appears as a local drive on my machine as long as I have internet access, but I never open and work on files directly from the google drive. RSLogix in particular has been known to corrupt the file if you lose internet while the file is open or shut down the PC before syncing is complete. So I only work with copies on my local drive.

I also tend to export the comments from a program, and update as I make changes. More than once this has saved me some time when dealing with a changed program.