Chinese power

He erected a flag pole and put the British Union Jack up on it.

He then had police cars with full sirens and lights demanding it be removed immediately.

Why is this surprising? I'm sure the UK would do the same, although it would probably take longer to take action.

I also find that "young" nations are much more protective of their sovereignty (unlike the UK and their perceived one) than older nations.

Try any funky business with a flag from the countries of the ex USSR and the result is jail.

I have no knowledge of Chinese wiring, however many years ago when I was designing and repairing video game hardware we had a customer that had purchased a number of machines from Japan, These promptly went bang when he powered them up, turned out that white & green were the L & N conductors and red was the earth!

They use whatever color is handy, I had it rang out and found a bad neutral connection on the outlet upstream from it (green wire) and repaired it.

Confirm your equipment's supply with site. Many sites in China have varying supplies and earthing systems. Voltage can differ from supply to supply and not all of them are MEN. You could be supplied with a Neutral from a floating centre tap for all you know.

I always confirm the exact specification of the supply with site when I'm dealing with anything outside of my own country.