OT: WAY OT... How small we are

Awesome, isn't it?
I can not get my mind around how we humans can think that we are so "special" as to have been "accidentally" derived from an anomaly of random happenstance in a remote corner of this vastness?

Or that there is a GOD who made it all just for us? I guess that is where "Faith" comes to play.

There just may be thousands of "Earths" out there who will never interact. :)

Last edited:
Don't bet on that. Out of all the billions of star systems, there are probably millions that contain life, and many that have life similar to us, and a bunch that are more advanced and have been exploring space for thousands of years, and even some that have visited here - not with rockets but with quantum space/time travel through gates. All we need to do is to contact those beings and find out how they do it.

I suspect that they don't think we are yet ready or able to handle such technology.

While I think that there is definitely life out there (its too big for there not to be) I also think that it is highly unlikely that we will ever encounter anything beyond microbes. The universe could be literally teeming with intelligent life on billions and billions of worlds and still the odds are that we will never cross paths both in location and in time.

Imagine there were just two fish in all the oceans and rivers of the Earth. How likely would it be the fish would ever cross paths? What if the two were very different, one a freshwater fish and one a saltwater fish? Now pretend those fish could be at different times - one now, and one a million years ago. The chance of them meeting drops to zero. Just our local neighborhood, the Orion spur off the Milky Way's Sagittarius arm, is several orders of magnitude bigger in both volume and time.

Space-time is so really mind boggling big that any interstellar space travel capable species just isn't likely to ever cross paths with another unless they both originate in the same solar system. The few times they do cross paths will be extremely rare events in the life of the universe.

Not impossible. Just rare.

IMO, humans, and whatever we evolve into if we don't off ourselves first, will probably only ever meet things that originated here. Same thing goes for those on 99.9% of the other inhabited worlds out there.

Last edited:

I agree with most of everything you said...

Also the fact that everything (or a lot of) that we are seen is so far in the past that if ever saw something in one of our new inventions (like a new super telescope) we may see something a few thousand light years old, if they are anything like us they would of destroyed themselves several time over

Gil47 said:
If you have a Facebook account, the night sky photos from found at this link are awesome

https://www.facebook.com/markgphoto/photos_stream

WOW... just spent a lot of time looking, I would LOVE to get down there some day

Taken a short drive from here. More here and here.

Corona-Arch-at-Night.jpg

Last edited:
Also a little outdated, but still very informative:
The scale of the universe
http://htwins.net/scale2/

VERY COOL!!!

The one I like the best is the "Strange Quark" .... I have been call one of them a few times before, now I know what it is :)

TConnolly said:
short drive

Nice, have you ever seen that view? here in the South East its to humid for the sky to be that clear

I suspect that they don't think we are yet ready or able to handle such technology.

If an intelligent life form orbiting a near star (Sirius is 9 million light years away) was looking at the earth though a powerful telescope what would he see? Primitive mammals, but no hominids - not even apes.

If the observer were on a planet 65 million years ago and looked at earth he would see dinosaurs!

If an intelligent life form orbiting a near star (Sirius is 9 million light years away) was looking at the earth though a powerful telescope what would he see? Primitive mammals, but no hominids - not even apes.
Assuming that it was bound by what we think are the physical bounds of space and time. But what if they knew how to travel instantly through space and time? There are indicators in the Torah that visitors have been coming to Earth for a long time and interacting with us humans. There are drawings on cave walls showing visitors wearing bubble helments. How could they have traveled here? Probably not by rocket-powered ships - too inefficient and slow. Practical space travel is going to require the next leap in quantum theory knowledge.