s5 115 942 problem

catalin78

hello i am a newbie to s5 and i have the following problem in a plant here.
the s5 crashed at general power failure
when the power came back on the auto mode does't work on manual mode several functions like lifting up or down a ramp don't work anymore
the software doesnt supply any alarm known
plc goes in run mode , i will look at the other leds and post their status here.
what do i need to debug this plc ? (cables , software ... etc)
cpu is 942

May help...

I really hate to say this and I certainly would never reccomend it for any other plc but you may have to reload the program. It's dificult to troubleshoot the s5 code (as you allready know) and I have noticed on a few occasions, we finnally just reloaded the code and it came right up and ran.

Good Luck

Hello catalin 78;
Siemens' software package for S5 programming is called Step 5, and their programming cable in part no. 6ES5-734-1BD20. It is very expensive, especially for a debug/reload application so you can have a look at other packages, like S5 for Windows from IBH.
I remember having lived through a similar problem (in the old days far far ago) where we lost all timer presets in our program after a power glitch. We had to go back into the program and re-write all the original timer values (the S5 PLc has a few retentive timers and flags, but most are non-retentive). We learned our lesson and burned an EPROM of the program so glitches would not cause parameter losses.
I suggest amongst other things you go to Siemens, support website and do a search on S5 manuals (the 942 manual is named 6ES5 998-0UF23.pdf)and on Step5 programming manuals. You can download them free of charge.

http://www4.ad.siemens.de/-snm-0135030360-1078737597-0000010179-0000000017-1079359750-enm-WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&changelang=true&aktprim=0&siteid=cseus&lang=en

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier

dchartier , please let me know more about the memory card wich the cpu has , how can i know if is a eprom there or a normal ram i tought i can restore program from eprom if it's there , the software and all instalation is done by some company in italy in early 90's and it can't be found , i need to see what memory card is inside , can i take it out without damaging the rest of program ?

Hello catalin 78;

Here is an extract from the manual I suggested this morning for the 942. As you can see, the type of memory module available for the CPU 942 is very limited; if the EPROM is installed in the CPU, it should be easily recognizable in the front section of the CPU.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

s5_eprom.jpg

thanks but ...

i saw that document , my question was ... if it's a eeprom in cpu can i restore the program from it and how can i do this ? or the loss is in eeprom? i have many things to ask you can i reach you via yahoo messenger or mail?

Hello catalin 78;
here is the procedure to load the program from the programmed Eprom to the CPu, as described by Siemens:
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

s5_eprom_2.jpg

eprom

thanks daniel , how about the eprom that my cpu has inside when power failure ocurrs the program stored in it it's being corupted or can i only do a overall reset and plc will start working again?
tomorrow i'll go to the plant and should i do a overall reset , can that help me or i have to program the eprom again and put it back and after that make a overall reset .
Thanks a lot for your support :)

hello, catalin 78;
I can't say from the information you have given on this problem, but last time I faced a situation like this we had to reprogram the Eprom to restore the program, as if the electrical glitch had corrupted the initial values for timers on the chip. If the Eprom is not corrupted, an overall reset will reload the program and allow the CPu to start again from scratch. If it is corrupted, you will need to burn another Eprom (through a Siemens PG or Step 5 and an external Prom burner).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

:(

if i have to burn another its delicate i have no backup of the software , i think this will be complicated , i hoped eprom was meant to last :)
thanks again :)
if i have to debug the machine i'll get back to you ... s5 wasn't in my reasearch list till now but as i see is often stii used in plants .