RedLion G308 to Siemens S5 943 115 series processor

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

I am no siemens expert and have been asked to price for changing out an old obsolete HMI unit (it has a large keypad, lots of F keys and a 2 line LCD Display) to a Redlion G308.

My first question is the G3 has Siemens comms drivers, none listed as S5 but there is one TI500 series ? Is this the one ? If not then is there an S5 driver available ?

The Processor is at present a 941, this is being swapped out to a 943 with 16K eprom.

I dont know what the existing HMI is, ill be on site tomorrow so will hopefully be able to have a look. The existing HMI goes into the same port on the processor that is used for programming.

I can also get a copy of the HMI program but i wouldnt have the software so hopefully someone here will be able to help out!!

Edit: Another thing - what cable (pinout) would be required for the g3 -> S5 ?

Last edited:
We now have an S5 driver which uses the AS511 protocol. Below is information from the engineer who wrote the driver about its compatibility:

"There are some limitations to the driver. It uses flat memory addressing, to read and write to the various data, timers, counters and I/O block areas in memory. These areas are CPU specific, which isn't a problem as the driver queries for the locations at start-up and caches them. Unfortunately the AS511 protocol supports only 16 bit addresses, and therein lies the limitation, some top end CPUs have > 16 bit addresses. I'm not sure how the protocol handles these addresses, I have a suspicion that the memory is segmented, and the protocol addresses the segment; but without a unit??????

It looks like we should be okay with:

90/95U
115U - CPUs 941,942,943,944
135U - CPUs 921,922,928
150U

Unlikely to work with:

115U - CPU 945
155U "

As far as the cable, the connection to the PLC is actually 20mA current loop, so an adapter is needed. We should be able to start selling these cables in about one month.

Regards,

Thanks Dan

I am not sure about the "It should be okay with"!! part

Has the driver been tested with an S5 ? say 943, 942, 941 etc ?

I will have a 943 in the next month or so complete with psu, rack and cards to play with.

I looked at my revison of C2 and was a few updates out, uploaded the latest one and the S5 driver is there!!

Could i use the Pc->s5 programming cable or is this different ? (I know id need to alter the 9way d connector to suit the G3)

We used a 95U for the develoopment/testing.

Yes you should be able to use the PC programming cable in conjunction with something like the CBLGEN01 in between the G3 and the programming cable.

Regards,

As for the Old HMI i have been asked to replace, i saw this today..

Very Old!

I have left my notes at work so will make a proper post tomorrow for help but from memory it was a :

Beal Connect CT10 with siemens v1.x software

> Beal Connect CT10

Do you mean Bead Interconnect, by any chance? I used to work with those guys many years ago. My HMI company in the UK and Bead were both spin-offs from the same company, although mine indirectly so.

MikeGranby said:
> Beal Connect CT10

Do you mean Bead Interconnect, by any chance? I used to work with those guys many years ago. My HMI company in the UK and Bead were both spin-offs from the same company, although mine indirectly so.

Yes i do mean BEAD INTERCONNECT!!!!!!!

Typo !

Dont suppose you have any spare ones lying around do you ?!?