S7 - PLCSim - can't download project

RMA

I wanted to try and solve my ProTool Array Variable question myself (see other Thread), so I loaded PLCSim but I can't get the project to download to PLCSim.

I started PLCSim from the Simatic Manager and I've changed the PG/PC Interface from TCP/IP to PC Internal. When that didn't work, I also tried the PC Adapter, but I wasn't too surprised when that didn't work.

As usual with Siemens trying to find useful information on something this basic in the help file is like searching for a needle in the haystack.

Anybody got any ideas?

PS Can PLCSim handle DP addresses, or am I wasting my time anyway, because 99% of the I/O is remote.

Problem solved!

Funny how organising your thoughts so as to post a more or less intelligble question gets your mind thinking along the right lines, all on its own!

When I decided to renumber the DP-Addresses a couple of months back so that the DP-Address was the same as the module number, that I meant I had to change the CPU address to something else, in this case 26. Needless to say in PLCSim the CPU still had the default address of 2! :sick:

Roy

I've used PLCSIM many times. What are the exact symptoms? Is SIMATIC Manager unable to find a PLC to download to?

Regardless of whether you expect to be connected over Profibus or MPI in real life, the MPI address of the simulator must match that of the CPU in your hardware configuration. Check your h/w config to see what you've got the CPU set at. It defaults to address 2, but you may have changed this.

I usually just activate the simulator by clicking on the button on the SIMATIC Manager toolbar. When it's 'in' you're working with the simulator, when it's 'out' you're working with whatever you've defined in the PG/PC Interface.

Once PLCSIM is running, you can easily change the MPI address it pretends to be. Like a CPU it will always default to 2, but you can change this from one of the menus to match your STEP7 project. Try clicking on the Accessible Nodes button in STEP7 when PLCSIM is running to detect what MPI address is out there waiting to communicate.

Are there any specific error messages you get?

More info, Roy, more info ...

Ken

Thanks Ken, but I may still be back with some more questions. It's running OK now, but ProTool is behaving very peculiarly. The version of the program I'm using is halfway through a major tidy up, so I may have to go back to an earlier version to be sure where the fault lies.

Well, I've loaded a known good version of the program and discovered that the major problem is patience - or lack of it on my part! Things that happen effectively instantly when running on the PLC are taking up to ten seconds to occur on my poor little overloaded Laptop. Perhaps not too surprising when one things about what all's happening!