Communicating with Panelview 1400e

TomCaesar

I'm trying to backup the panelview program on a panelview 1400e.
I'm a complete newbie.
I have a serial cable with a 25 pin on one end.
I have panelview32 software with rslinx.

I connect the serial cable between my pc and the rs232 port on the panelview. (I've tried both a null modem and a straight through cable).

I don't see the terminal in rslinx in either case.

How can I communicate with the panelview?

Does it have to be in configuration mode before it will see the terminal so I can upload the program? The terminal is in run mode and is communicating with the the SLC 5/04.

Will my software talk to this terminal? I see references to a panelview 1200/1400e transfer utility. Do I need this?

When I connect the dh+ to the SLC, rslinx sees the panelview but I can't communicate with it. When I fire up Panvelview32 while connected to the SLC and try to upload from the panelview, it says the device is not a user terminal?

Thanks, in advance.
Tom

Panelbuilder32 is for actual Panelview displays. To talk to the older Panelview 1400e, you will need the old Panelbuilder 1400e software. As far as what cable you need, I'm not sure because all the ones i have programmed in the past where on a Ethernet to DH+ gateway.

Just a warning, because this software is obsolete, Rockwell wants a very pretty penny for it.

2711E-ND11English PanelBuilder 1400e Development Software for Windows 3.1 and above, Windows 95 or Windows NT$ 2,980.00

You are correct about the standalone file transfer utility for the PanelView 1400e "Enhanced" terminals.

I haven't been able to find it for download, but you may be able to get it from your local RA distributor or sales office.

One thing to be aware of is that the Transfer Utility has its own serial drivers: you will need to delete any RSLinx drivers that are trying to use the serial port on your PC.

These terminals pre-date Windows... don't be surprised when they depend on technologies that were common in 1994.

You are correct about the standalone file transfer utility for the PanelView 1400e "Enhanced" terminals.

I haven't been able to find it for download, but you may be able to get it from your local RA distributor or sales office.

PM me with a e-mail address and I will send you or any body else the File Transfer utility, zipped 2.50 MB

Panel Bulider software.
One thing to be aware of is that the Transfer Utility has its own serial drivers: you will need to delete any RSLinx drivers that are trying to use the serial port on your PC.
Where do I delete the RSLinx drivers ?

Where do I delete the RSLinx drivers ?

In RSLinx Classic, you configure drivers by selecting the "cable" icon or selecting Communications -> Configure Drivers from the main menu.

Select the driver you want to delete, and click the "Delete" button.

This is a thread that is 5 years old, about software that is 25 years old. If you have an unrelated question about RSLinx, please create a new thread by going to the main PLCTalk Q&A page and clicking the "Start a New Thread" button.

RSLinx_Delete_Drivers.jpg