Fatal Error while opening Rslogix5000 v20.01

thank you for your feedback

But i get same pop-up msg after repair RSL5000 from control panel.
now i am going to install v20.03.hope it works.

thanks again

Rutesh Deshmukh

RSLogix 5000 v20.03 Product Resiliency Release...

Rutesh M Deshmukh said:
...now i am going to install v20.03.hope it works...

No! No! No! No! No!

Argh, now I have to leap into the abyss!!

Do not upgrade from RSLogix 5000 v20.01 to v20.03!

Go straight from RSLogix 5000 v20.01 to v20.04!

Right, as concisely as I can...

RSLogix 5000 v20.03 is a "Product Resiliency Release". What does that mean?...

This Product Resiliency Release includes security related features such as tamper prevention and detection; intellectual property management and source protection; and user authentication and authorization.

All nice, but what does it mean for you?...

Offline:
If you create a v20.03 project then only users with v20.03 software can open the project offline (or v20.04). You may have more than one person or workstation with v20.01 currently in use. Anyone else with v20.01 software cannot open your v20.03 project. If you attempt to open an existing v20.01 project using v20.03, then it will prompt you to convert it to v20.03. It too can now only be opened by v20.03 software (or v20.04).

Online:
If you have existing controllers running v20.01 projects, and you upgrade to v20.03 software, then v20.03 can upload the project from a v20.01 controller but it cannot go online. You would have to convert the v20.01 project to v20.03 and download again into the controller. Users with v20.01 now cannot go online with these controllers.

This is all fine if you are just doing your own v20 project work and all your current v20.01 projects can, and will, be converted to v20.03 and downloaded again. And also, all users who must interact with the converted projects and controllers will also be running v20.03 (or v20.04). If not, then you may find at a later date that you, or another, suddenly cannot go online to one of your previous v20 controllers.

RSLogix 5000 v20.04 minor release was introduced to restore minor compatibility between all v20 projects and controllers. Most programmers will be using v20.04 by now.

You cannot install and run RSLogix 5000 v20 minor releases simultaneously on the same workstation PC. It must be v20.01 or v20.03 or v20.04.

Again, and in keeping with the good general advise we were attempting to give you, please upgrade to the latest, highest, minor release of RSLogix 5000 v20.04, and avoid any or all of the above potential headaches.

More info here...

565204 - RSLogix 5000 Software, Version 20.03
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Last edited:
This happened to me after a Windows update, specifically the .net update. Check your .net version and see if it's 4.6.1. If so, uninstall it and reinstall 4.5.2.

Fatal Errors in posting...

Guys/Gals,

Some friendly advice on seeking and dispensing advice...

EffSee said:
im gatting a fatal error while trying to open v23.01

Always post the details of the fatal error - a screenshot, of reasonable resolution, is usually best, or else a transcript of the error log.

fredbear said:
Right click icon and select "Run as Administrator"

You only have to do this once after an install.

Something to think about - we do not know the details of the fatal error. Some fatal errors have very specific causes and fixes. We also do not know that they have just installed the software recently. However, your advice is often useful in these cases and does fall into the "it does no harm to try category". Just try to better visualize the posters situation, or potential different situations, while you weigh up your advice; that's all.

EffSee said:
ok. I tried that and still have that error. Also its v21.03 not v 23.

Again - too vague in the reference to the error. Please provide the details of the specific fatal error. They are very specific, that is why the details are very important to know here.

Kev77 said:
This happened to me after a Windows update, specifically the .net update. Check your .net version and see if it's 4.6.1. If so, uninstall it and reinstall 4.5.2.

You could be bang on here, but asking for the specific details of the fatal error might help you to narrow down, or rule in or out, any possible causes you may be thinking of - that is, if you know how to look up the causes of specific fatal errors. Confidence in advising reinstalling "things", which can potentially do more harm or just waste time, should be backed up with concrete knowledge of the error and its possible causes.

EffSee said:
Thanks guys

It's all going swimmingly, but not as focused as it should, or could be. I'm only pointing these things out to ye because I know from experience that these fatal errors are often very, very specific to a unique set of circumstances and can require very specific steps to resolve the issue. For instance, it can often be a specific piece of third-party software that is "interfering" with the same memory that the Rockwell software is currently using, corrupting its session.

I will be more than happy if you come back and say that some of the already dispensed advice, which is well intentioned, has fixed your issue.

But if not...

What is the specific Fatal Error that RSLogix 5000 v21.03 is throwing?

(I can hear the "don't use v21.03!" cries from here! That is a separate issue and should have nothing to do with the fatal error here. We can, of course, advise on the implications of using or not using it, but that is not relevant here, or at least not yet.)

Finished talking to myself now...

Regards,
George

All I can say is I had the problems with V. 20.01, did the upgrade to 20.04, and also uninstalled and re-installed .net software and STILL get fatal errors on 20.04. I've changed my automatic save time from 5 minutes to 2 minutes because once I was doing alot of tags and lost everything when it crashed. One time I just clicked on an instruction so I could insert a branch and another time I just highlighted a rung number so I could insert an instruction and it crashed. Doesn't seem to be fixed yet as far as Rockwell is concerned. My boss has the same software and his works perfectly; he says it's my computer. Good luck, all.