AB Softlogix Version 13 and MSG over Ethernet

Roy C.

QUESTION --- Will version 13 of SoftLogix allow/support use of "CIP Generic" with "Custom" service type MSG instructions over Ethernet?

HISTORY ----- With ControlLogix platform/Ethernet card we have successfully transferred data to Cognex cameras using the MSG (message) command over Ethernet. Cognex implemented enough of CIP over Ethernet to be able to set and query data cells within its application.

The MSG instruction was done with "Message Type" set for CIP Generic and the "Service Type" set for Custom. The MSG instruction then allows you to specify the "Service Code", "Class", "Instance", and "Attribute" of the CIP message. You also specify what tag (in the local code to get the data from, the length of the data to send and into what tag (in the local code) to stick the device's response.

With this you can put a value into a cell that can trigger the image capture/analysis to take place. You can then query another cell to see if the result has been populated and read that cell and others to get pass/fail and any output data such as "angle of the part" or "size of the hole"

Works great! Just hook 24V and Ethernet cable to the camera and you have everything you need... no Rs232, no discreet IO.

NOW ----- I am starting on (another) project using SoftLogix. The latest Version 13 of SoftLogix is reported to have the ability to talk over Ethernet to communicate with Ethernet I/O and other "devices". Unfortunately the user manual only shows message types of "CIP Data Table Read", "SLC Typed Read", and "PLC5 Typed Read". It does not specifically state that "CIP Generic" with "Custom" service type WILL NOT work. However it also does not specifically state that it WILL work.

QUESTION (again) --- Will version 13 of SoftLogix allow/support use of "CIP Generic" with "Custom" service type MSG instructions over Ethernet?

Thanks,
Roy