Configuring motor controller via TwinCAT

Hello there

I have some issues connecting to EtherCAT based stepper motor controllers.

The controllers are RTA CSD ET and the manufacturer have made a guide on how to connect using TwinCAT 2.

So i have connected a PC using an ethernet cable, installed the TwinCAT Ethernet driver (which replaces, or modifies the Adapter driver).

Then i insert an EtherCAT device in a new TwinCAT System Manager project, and choose the EtherCAT NIC as adapter.

When i press "scan boxes" under "I/O Devices - Device 1" i get the following error: Init2\IO: Create TComObj SAFEOP >> AdsError: 1793 (0x701, 'ADSERROR: service is not supported by server')

So i a basically looking for someone with knowledge about TwinCAT/EtherCAT.

Thanks in advance!

I have never done exactly what you are trying, but have used TC2 and TC3 since 2005.

ADS refers to communication between your "Windows HMI" and the "TwinCAT runtime". Your current HMI is effectively TwinCAT's System Manager program (can later be a Visual Basic program, Indusoft, WonderWare, or such). The "TwinCAT runtime" is typically a separate "PLC Brain" like a Beckhoff CX CPU. In your case, the runtime is on the same PC (runs real-time, underneath Windows). You should have a TwinCAT icon in your Windows SysTray (bottom panel, beside PC clock). Open that and check all the properties. It should have an AMS ID. It must also be in "config mode" (icon turns blue) for System Manager to interact with the runtime. You can set that via a right-click on the icon. The run-time must also have a valid license, which can be a 7-day trial license (can renew).

Within your System Manager project, insure the selected Target is "local" and it shows being in config mode (blue). I don't think you need a "Route" if a local runtime, but unsure since have always run System Manager on a programming PC, with a Route to a remote CX runtime. I suspect that since it let you add the NIC card to your SysMan project as an EtherCAT Device that all above is OK, but perhaps that works regardless.

I don't think the EtherCAT link from the TC2 runtime to the RTA "terminal" requires any special configuration. I have only used Beckhoff parts, but see nothing like IP addresses associated with the EtherCAT link. Re the error, I would interpret "Server" to mean the TC2 runtime (on your PC), which sounds like it isn't setup correctly or in the correct state to search for I/O (thus an error from the communications function). You will also need an "electronic description file" (or such) for the RTA device, which the manufacturer should provide. That gives TC2 info about the number channels and data types that will arrive in the EtherCAT "process image" when it is cycling.

BTW, insure the EtherCAT driver is associated with the correct NIC port. When I have several NIC ports (most CX's), in Windows I label one "ECAT_Link" and another "LAN" and label the RJ45 connectors to match. To insure, plug and unplug a live Ethernet cable and you should see the correct named NIC change from "connected" to "unconnected" in Windows Network Devices. In early TC2 days, the Ecat driver only worked with certain Intel NIC chipsets, so if working with older TC2 and hardware read-up on Beckhoff's site. That restriction went away in TC3 and of course has never been a concern when using Beckhoff CPU's.

Last edited: