RSStudio 5000 as House-control

Hi Everyone

I am currently using an SLC0505 and Logix500 as house-control at my home.
I want to upgrade to ControlLogix and Studio5000.

Does anyone know about some Addon functions already made, or do I have to make my own ?

I prefer if I could do all lightning with one Addon block.

Indputs could be:

Push botton
All light off
Room number (for all light off in room)
Kip funktion (On/Off)
Dimmer funktion (On/Off)
Others ?

Output could be:
Digital On/Off (Kip function)
Analog Ramp Up/Down (Dimmer Function)
Others ?

Thanks Uffe

It was a tongue in cheek response. We got one for Christmas and I am impressed with it.

If I had the time, I would of probably have done it all myself like the OP with a PLC, it would of made a nice little project.

I don't think this is a job for a Echo :)
The setup now is SLC 2x13 slot rack and 4 nodes on devicenet,it's +200 I/Os.
I will replace the CPU with a 1746-Aentr and move the devicenet to a new scanner on the Compactlogix.

So if anyone has a suggstion to a addon, maybe somthing I could modify.

PLC for home control is a bad idea for so many different reasons. Even on a commercial/industrial level, I found that PLC isn't the ideal tool for the job. At this time, I would say Zwave/Zigbee based system are the best. Heck, a Samsung Smarthome Hub goes for $50 these days.

Note: this might change in 10 years when MQTT and OPC UA takes merges industrial and home IOT devices.

Sorry, didn't mean to dump your thread. I think most of us here can do an absolutely killer system and would have fun doing it but that wasn't my point.

Price, change of home ownership, lack of wireless sensor/switch selection, ability to troubleshoot by others, lack of Android/iPhone app, etc... makes it less than ideal fit for home automation.

It's okay,I had the thorghts and made the desicion 10 years ago.
The PLC also have a lot analog control for temperature, actuated valves for heating, water sun panels and so on.
I posted a picture of the main controlpanel for ease of understanding.

20180104_180037_resized.jpg

A CPX will be cheaper than a CLX. I have a CPX running mine with 5 point IO modules in different rooms. You can get 2nd hand RTD 1734 modules cheap, if you want to expand in future.

Also have smartThings, I can turn on a "socket" which activates a relay so I can turn the heat on from my mobile phone etc.

Sorry, typing mistake. I meant CompactLogix.
I have a L33ER, I have to go over ver.20 to use 2 SLC Racks on 1 1746-Aentr.

Patrick, do you have SmartThings combined with the PLC ?

Yes, but in a basic way. I can turn on a remote controlled 230v socket from the app on my phone. This energises a relay that turns on a PLC input.

If I need more IO between the two, I might look into it more. I think you can get developer access to ST. But if I needed say 10 inputs, I would probably just use one of my bulbs that the ST can turn on at 10% increments, and have a LDR going to an analog input. Of course I would need to write some PLC logic, as you can only have 1 degree of brightness on at a time.

Yes sort off...
About 350 m2 or acording to Google 3700 sqfeet.
We have build it ourselves over 10 years. Including controlsystem ;-)

Last edited: