TIA Portal - multiple programmers, 1 project?

Imagine an automation project with several sub stations with each a PLC.
But they all have to be connected via network, e.g. S7-connections, like you would create within one project's devices configuration.

Can multiple programmers collaborate in one project, using TIA Portal?
We have V11, if that doesn't support it but V12 does (or V12 is much more stable, for that matter) we might upgrade.

From going through every menu in V11, though, I see no special functionality for something like that, while over a year ago some Siemens person talking to us said that TIA would allow to collaborate...
Certainly not in the way of PC software development, given the binary project format.

Even if TIA does not by itself support it - are there (not too painful) ways of doing it?
What do you do?

Regards,
-PTPP