S5 STL question on 95U

Johnny T

I'm trying to fault find on a Siemens S5 95U PLC. It has an analogue input and output on the front of the PLC.

The address for the analogue input is IW40 - IW54 inclusive. The analogue output is QW40

The trouble is I can't find QW40 or IW40 addressed anywhere in the software.

I can find reference to FW40 and also some declaration names such as SOLL etc. I'm thinking that they must act like the variable declaration table in Step 7 in that you set up a name but then address the name as you call the block?

You are welcome to download the software here as a zip file.

If you can give me any pointers on where the analogue word comes into the software and where the analogue word is outputted then that would be great.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Cheers

JT

Long time since I used S5. From memory try looking for PIW40 and PQW40. (peripheral input word, peripheral output word)
And I think FB250 and FB251 were used to scale the analog inputs/outputs. Have a look for them.

pp

Johnny T,

the program you provided makes use of FB250 and FB251. These functionblocks provide scaling of analog values.

FB250 is scaling of analog inputs. The first parameter is BG (BauGruppe). This indicates which card you're using: 0 through 7 are the first 8 cards next to the processor, 8 is the onboard analog inputcard or the processor itself. The next one is KNKT or KanalNummerKanalTyp. This one consists of two bytes: the first gives the number of the channel (0 - 7), the second gives the type of channel, for the onboard analog inputs this should always be 4 for unipolar channels (0..10V). OGR and UGR are upper and lower limits, or what value corresponds to 0V and 10V respectively. XA is the calculate value you're getting out of this FB.

FB251 is scaling of analog outputs. XE is the value you're sending to the FB. BG, KNKT, UGR and OGR are the same as in FB250, although KNKT should always be 0,0 for the onboard analog output.

More detailed info can be found in the manuals, I think some links have been provided already on this site.

Kind regards,

Johnny T,

the program you provided makes use of FB250 and FB251. These functionblocks provide scaling of analog values.

FB250 is scaling of analog inputs. The first parameter is BG (BauGruppe). This indicates which card you're using: 0 through 7 are the first 8 cards next to the processor, 8 is the onboard analog inputcard or the processor itself. The next one is KNKT or KanalNummerKanalTyp. This one consists of two bytes: the first gives the number of the channel (0 - 7), the second gives the type of channel, for the onboard analog inputs this should always be 4 for unipolar channels (0..10V). OGR and UGR are upper and lower limits, or what value corresponds to 0V and 10V respectively. XA is the calculate value you're getting out of this FB.

FB251 is scaling of analog outputs. XE is the value you're sending to the FB. BG, KNKT, UGR and OGR are the same as in FB250, although KNKT should always be 0,0 for the onboard analog output.

More detailed info can be found in the manuals, I think some links have been provided already on this site.

Kind regards,

PS. Seems something has gone wrong with my PC. The date changed suddenly to october 20, 5124 so my cookie was out of date and I was (unnoticed) logging in as guest. And still some people claim there's nothing wrong with Windows.

jvdcande

Please post your address so I can kiss you on the lips, buy you copious amounts of alcohol and shake you firmly by the hand !! :D

Thank you so much for your help.

A big thanks to you paraffin power too, you've really helped me out.

I'm off to search for more info on FB250 and FB251 now.

Thanks again...

:)

Please post your address so I can kiss you on the lips, buy you copious amounts of alcohol and shake you firmly by the hand !!
Looking at your atavar :D and knowing I'm out of AA for several years now 🍺 I'll just go for the handshake (y) .

No need to thank me this extensively, after all this is :site: . It is by far the best and threads like this show us why. I simply give answers, because I know I'm getting even more out of :site: then I'm putting in. It's a win-win situation for everybody, apart from students asking (demanding!?!) us to solve their homework đź““ for them. Just thank Phil for offering us this site. And maybe help him finance it by buying a few T-shirts, some videos and/or the book.

Kind regards,

PS. Seems something has gone wrong with my PC. The date changed suddenly to october 20, 5124 so my cookie was out of date and I was (unnoticed) logging in as guest. And still some people claim there's nothing wrong with Windows.
Jean Pierre, are you using STEP5 v7.0 ?
(You were using STEP5 to check Johnny's program, weren't you ?).
That can explain the messed up date and time.
I have the same problem with my STEP5 v7.0 - its a known anomaly.
I have to close Outlook before I run STEP5 otherwise all my appointments gets triggered.
If only Siemens didnt charge such an unreasonable amount of cash for upgrading STEP5 mddr

Jesper,

I indeed used STEP5 V7.0 to check the program. Guess I'll have to stick a post-it to the monitor stating "Used S5 V7.0? Re-set time after closing!!".

The price of the Simatic updates is not the only thing that drives me mad! Almost every new version of STEP7 has a changed userinterface. I have to change my courseware with every update. And since the updates come VERY regular, this means I'm constantly updating my courses. I'm very deep in trouble to find time left to teach, and that's supposed to be my main job!

Kind regards,