Basic profinet project.

scoia

Hi all,
I'm new with PLCs so at the very beginning sorry if my questions will sound stupid.
I have a small project to do in school that involves S7-1200 Siemens PLC and we would like to implement communication through Profinet.
Unfortunately nobody has any experience with Profinet (our supervisor only worked with Profibus).
My question is do we need I/O and Profinet nodes as somebody pointed my that that is implemented in PLC controller already.
If we need any modules can anyone advise me any?
We will have 3 analogue inputs, 5 digital inputs and around 6 digital outputs.
Thanks in advance!
P.S. I realize that probably this is not enough info so feel free to ask.

If you do a rough sketch of your system, somebody will be able to answer.

Your PLC has some on-board IO, do you need more than the amount you quoted?

What is it your are wanting to communicate to?

I just need additional 2 analogue inputs (PLC has one built-in). Digital I/O number is enough.
My problem is the Profinet as I don't really understand how to connect to it. Do I need any external I/O modules to use Profinet (as there are nodes for Profibus)
I will have access to the whole rig again on Monday and then I will have all details, including PLC CPU.

Part for your extra analogue inputs:

https://www.parmley-graham.co.uk/automation/siemens/plc-s/s7-1200/6es7231-4hd32-0xb0

This just attaches to the right side of the PLC directly.

To connect to the PLC, you can just plug your laptop into it via Ethernet lead. If you have a Siemens HMI to go with the plc, this just plugs in as well, you can go online with both with your laptop, if you use a router.

Unless your trying to communicate with equipment other than the plc and screen, then I wouldn't worry about the profinet bit at this point.

I have one of these analogue I/O modules already.
I also have Siemens HMI.
So I understand there is no need for any modules for Profinet fieldbus?
I will just use addresses inside the program and connect my pumps, sensors, valves directly to PLC?

For that set up, screen and PLC, you don't need anything else. If your model of PLC has 2 ports you can plug the screen to one and the laptop to the other and download to both, or use a router and achieve the same.

Both you don't need any additional kit for the profinet.