Unidentifiable General Cable for DH+

Archie

I have several spools of cable that have the following markings:

GENERAL CABLE CO. E9078 2 CDR 20 AWG TYPE CL2 75C (UL) E100316 OR AWM STYLE 2498

The spool has this label:

GENERAL CABLE
PART NUMBER: E9078
DESCRIPTION:
78 OHM TWINAXIAL CABLE
168-7001720 1000' TYPE CL2/2498

I cannot find any numbers to match on the General Cable web site or the internet. I measured the diameter, DC Resistance of wire and shield and those all match up to part number C8001. It even matched the insulation colors. The impedance on the spool even matches.

Here is the problem. I am trying to use it as DH+ because it also appears to be an equivalent as Belden 9463. It works fine with short lengths of about 5', but when I layed out about 1000' the DH+ will not work. I tried with and without 150 OHM resistors.

Does anyone know if that is an old General Cable part number? And is it equivalent to Belden 9463?

Can't help you out with your cable but a couple of things to check

1.​
Check the resistance between the following points.

sockets 6 and 8 on each 15-socket connector
the blue and clear wires on each station connector
The readings should be 75 ohms plus the resistance of the Belden 9463
cable. Belden 9463 has a typical resistance of one ohm per 100 feet.
The resistance readings should be no less than 75 ohms +/- 1%, and no
more than 125 ohms +/- 10%. If the resistances do not fall within this
parameter, you must locate and correct the error before network start-up.
2.​
Remove the resistors from the end station connectors and check the

resistance between sockets 6 and 8 on any 15-socket connector on the
network. There should be infinite resistance.
3.​
Connect socket 8 to building steel (chassis ground). The resistance on

socket 8 should be 1,000 ohms or less, and the resistance on sockets 6 and
7 should be one meg ohms or more.
If these readings are not found, you must locate and correct the problem
before network start-up.
If the resistances are within the guidelines outlined above, you can start up the
network.​
this is from the DH+ installation guidelines​
I believe it was publication 1770-6.2.2​

I have to assume the cable is not fully equivalent to Belden 9463.

I started with 1000' which didn't work. I then started cutting about 150' segments off, then tested the short segment and what was left. Each 150' segment worked fine and when my main piece got to about 400' it then worked fine.

Just as a verification, I connected one end of my short segments into one of the connectors and the DH+ stopped working immediately.

So I am left to assume that some characteristic that I can not measure such as impedance or capacitance is not correct for DH+.