Ethernet connection of Micro820 via WIFI

AB2005

Hi;

We are going to install Micro820 PLCs (more than 20) at our different machines to get the production data at main server. The regular option for LAN connection with each PLC is that we should lay LAN cables from Ethernet HUB to PLCs and connect these PLCs with LAN.
Is it possible to install a WIFI router/transmitter in center of department (connected with company LAN) and on the other hand, install a WIFI receiver with each PLC to connect it with company Ethernet network? Has anyone worked out for this option?

I think I would keep it wired and run them to one or two wifi connections... they have wifi repeaters but I have not used one that I would trust for industrial applications

It also depends on what you are doing and with the PLC's are they controlling and passing important data over the wifi?

WiFi technology has gotten very reliable over the past several years and depending on the topology and region of the world you are in it may be a very solid application or it could be poor at best (or everything in between). With the topology, if you’re going relativity short distances, line of sight is crystal clear and antenna will be located away from metal objects then it looks very good. If any one of those is compromised I’d stay away from it. As far as “region of the world” there are some places where some of the frequencies used in the latest standards aren’t allowed or are limited in output power and if that’s the case, again I’d stay away from it.
Having said all of that, another consideration is the amount of data you are planning on moving and the time frame that it needs to move in. If you need near real time data and/or lots of it that gets a lot harder to accomplish. If on the other hand you are looking to update a few tags every few seconds from each PLC then I’d go with Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum 2.4GHz (unless this application is somewhere that 900MHz is available for use, then I’d use that). FHSS is much more robust and reliable than WiFi but it is also much (MUCH) slower with a much higher latency.
In short there really isn’t “one answer fits all”. It largely depends on the details of the application and where it’s located.