You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 27th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #1
Skidood
Canada

Windows 10

This is an adjunct to my last query about new laptops. I run RS Logix 500 V9 and RS Linx Classic Lite and cannot update to newer software nor do I need to. Since new or refurb laptops come with Windows 10 now, do I have to get W 10 PRO or is the lesser version (I assume one could call it Home version) OK?
Some purists or PLC pros out there might be tempted to say "Get Pro" but I am currently running both programs successfully on Windows 8.1 and its not the Pro version, if there even is one. For various reasons I would like to avoid Windows 10 Pro if possible but its not a showstopper.
Old August 27th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Rockwell has never officially supported any of the "Home" versions of Windows. While you might get it to work, the minute you have a problem you're on your own.

For the difference in price on a refurb laptop, I recommend very strongly against any "Home" version of Windows.

Quote:
Some purists or PLC pros out there
There's nothing stuck up about using, or recommending, professional tools for the job that puts food on your table.
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Skidood
Canada

Actually, my apologies, I would be OK with Pro, but it looks like all the laptops that come with Pro are more expensive business style laptops and I was hoping to keep it as light in weight as possible not to mention being on a strict budget. And I would be using the same laptop for all things personal and I spend A LOT of time on it. But I have a nagging feeling you are very right.
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #4
n55_6mt
United States

Windows 10 home lacks many important features that you may find yourself eventually needing or wanting, and isn't officially supported by most PLC software platforms. The cost delta is like $50 on most new PCs, and usually even less on "business class" refurb systems. Look on eBay, usually there are large volumes of corporate lease trade-ins that are available well spec'd for ~$500 USD. They almost always come with 10 Pro now, as Microsoft's refurbishment program works with these re-sellers, who will upgrade a system originally sold with 7 Pro or 8 Pro to 10 Pro for virtually no cost.

Last edited by n55_6mt; August 27th, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:48 PM   #5
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Dell Financial Service is a good place to get refurb pro grade Dell laptop.
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Maxkling
United States

Tiger Direct has great deals, Iím an HP guy so any Intel based Probook with a SSD, you canít loose, in my opinion.
Old August 27th, 2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Skidood
Canada

I was eyeballing the Probook and we do have TigerDirect up here too....
Old August 28th, 2019, 06:57 AM   #8
BlueAltezza
United States

Most people need pro in order to join a domain (be at work)
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Pandiani
Bosnia

How many of you have experiences with refurbished laptops? I have notices this option is often mentioned.
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:50 AM   #10
Helliana
United States

You can upgrade from Home to Pro in your system properties. I don't remember the cost. Also, if you have a Windows 7 Pro key you could use it to upgrade as of < a year ago.
Old August 28th, 2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Skidood
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helliana View Post
You can upgrade from Home to Pro in your system properties. I don't remember the cost. Also, if you have a Windows 7 Pro key you could use it to upgrade as of < a year ago.
Great info, I do have W7 Pro on another laptop and found the product key for it in System Properties ..this opens up my choices a lot...and by the way the cost to buy the upgrade from Microsoft is apparently 99 bucks.
Old August 28th, 2019, 02:33 PM   #12
n55_6mt
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandiani View Post
How many of you have experiences with refurbished laptops? I have notices this option is often mentioned.
I've bought a number of refurbs because I'm cheap and have had good results. Just like buying an used car, you will want to be careful to avoid getting something that hasn't been well cared for. Physical damage including scratches are usually a sign to stay away, and any reputable seller will highlight the condition.

I also wouldn't buy a laptop that has a difficult to replace battery, as this is a wear item that will likely need to be replaced in the near future.

Be sure to hold out for the right one, at the right price. On sites like eBay it can be tempting just to buy the first one you see that meets your needs, but it's often a good idea to watch a few models that you're interested in and see what they sell for. Look for the specifications that would be hard to change such as CPU spec, screen, keyboard, ect as things like memory and hard drives can often be upgraded after the purchase.

I paid $450 for a Lenovo T470, it came with a i7-7600, 256gb SSD, 8GB of ram and the 1080p screen. The same models with 16GB or 1TB SSDs were hard to find, and sold for close to $1000 dollars. I bought the lower spec machine, and immediately upgraded the ram to 32GB and the SSD to 1TB and replaced the battery for about $250.
Old August 28th, 2019, 05:21 PM   #13
Skidood
Canada

OK so i decided to order a refurb 15" HP ProBook with W10 Pro and it actually has 5 USB ports and a serial port which will come in kinda handy. 8 GB RAM and a 500 GB HDD.

$500 CAD ($375 USD) plus taxes

Thx for your input.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum