Powerflex 753 CM and MOV jumpers

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can someone explain to me in plain English the purpose of the CM and MOV jumpers in a Powerflex drive? I've read the manual and for some reason it's not clicking.

We use 3 phase 480 Delta on all our motors here at the plant. Would that be considered "AC fed ungrounded"?

Can someone explain to me in plain English the purpose of the CM and MOV jumpers in a Powerflex drive? I've read the manual and for some reason it's not clicking.

We use 3 phase 480 Delta on all our motors here at the plant. Would that be considered "AC fed ungrounded"?

The 750-series Quick Start document has a pretty good section on this (page 27):

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/750-qs001_-en-p.pdf

EDIT: When you say you use 3-phase 480 delta, do you mean that you have a delta secondary?

The issue of delta or resistance grounded Wye has ONLY to do with the line side SOURCE. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how the motor is connected. Nothing about how the motor is connected has any effect or relevance to the VFD (other than the motor voltage connection pattern).

The issue with the jumpers is that IF you have a delta source system, the L to Ground voltage can be higher than it would be in a Wye source. A Wye source would be if your source (utility) transformer is set up as 480Y277, 3 phase 4 wire with a solidly grounded neutral, as opposed to 480 3 phase 3 wire. It doesn’t matter if you actually RUN the solidly grounded neutral conductor anywhere outside of the service entrance, it’s actually common that it is not. It just matters if it is there. If the neutral has a neutral grounding resistor (or reactor), the same issues described below can happen, so treat that the same as far as VFDs are concerned.

Most drives are built with components that are going to assume a Wye source, because that is what is used in most of the world; North America is the only place with any prominent use of delta power systems because of an industry legacy of “Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!”, meaning don’t stop production just because of an annoying ground fault... So inside of the drives there are components that are referenced to ground and if you connect to a delta system, those components BECOME the Wye point of your entire system, for the few milliseconds it takes them to vaporize if there is ever a ground fault ANYWHERE else. That then generally damages other parts of the drive rendering them useless and unrepairable. Many drive manufactures deal with this by simply stating in the manual that you CANNOT connect their drives to any but a Wye power system, then if you do and the drive is destroyed, they point that out when you claim a warranty. In the case of Rockwell drive (and several others) where the drives were DESIGNED for use in North America, the components are actually selected to be used on an L-G voltage reference that is the same as the L-L reference, so the drive CAN be used on a delta system, but you still have to remove that ground reference point. That what those jumpers are for. They ALLOW you to use the drives on a delta or resistance grounded Wye system. It’s not the best practice and they earn you of that in the manual but it is possible.

But again, this has ZERO relevance to how the motor is connected, ONLY the source transformer.

The issue of delta or resistance grounded Wye has ONLY to do with the line side SOURCE. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how the motor is connected. Nothing about how the motor is connected has any effect or relevance to the VFD (other than the motor voltage connection pattern).

The issue with the jumpers is that IF you have a delta source system, the L to Ground voltage can be higher than it would be in a Wye source. A Wye source would be if your source (utility) transformer is set up as 480Y277, 3 phase 4 wire with a solidly grounded neutral, as opposed to 480 3 phase 3 wire. It doesn’t matter if you actually RUN the solidly grounded neutral conductor anywhere outside of the service entrance, it’s actually common that it is not. It just matters if it is there. If the neutral has a neutral grounding resistor (or reactor), the same issues described below can happen, so treat that the same as far as VFDs are concerned.

Most drives are built with components that are going to assume a Wye source, because that is what is used in most of the world; North America is the only place with any prominent use of delta power systems because of an industry legacy of “Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!”, meaning don’t stop production just because of an annoying ground fault... So inside of the drives there are components that are referenced to ground and if you connect to a delta system, those components BECOME the Wye point of your entire system, for the few milliseconds it takes them to vaporize if there is ever a ground fault ANYWHERE else. That then generally damages other parts of the drive rendering them useless and unrepairable. Many drive manufactures deal with this by simply stating in the manual that you CANNOT connect their drives to any but a Wye power system, then if you do and the drive is destroyed, they point that out when you claim a warranty. In the case of Rockwell drive (and several others) where the drives were DESIGNED for use in North America, the components are actually selected to be used on an L-G voltage reference that is the same as the L-L reference, so the drive CAN be used on a delta system, but you still have to remove that ground reference point. That what those jumpers are for. They ALLOW you to use the drives on a delta or resistance grounded Wye system. It’s not the best practice and they earn you of that in the manual but it is possible.

But again, this has ZERO relevance to how the motor is connected, ONLY the source transformer.

Thank you. This is a perfect explanation. So I would need to contact the utility to verify that the neutrals in our transformers are solidly grounded. As long as they are, we would get better operation of the drives leaving the jumpers in. If not, we should make sure that every drive has the jumpers removed.

Thank you. This is a perfect explanation. So I would need to contact the utility to verify that the neutrals in our transformers are solidly grounded. As long as they are, we would get better operation of the drives leaving the jumpers in. If not, we should make sure that every drive has the jumpers removed.
Yes and no. The utility may not know or care. I have found may of them unhelpful. Worth a try, but if you get nowhere, just take a look at your service entrance; if there is a neutral landing lug there and is had a bonding jumper from the neutral landing to ground, then it's a solidly grounded wye system, if it's just the case that is bonded to ground, it probably is not. Also measure the voltage to ground at that point; if it's 277 on all 3 phases to ground, it's Wye, if its anything else, it's floating and therefore a delta. If one phase reads 0V to ground, it's a corner grounded delta.