Upload from SLC500 issues

cardosocea

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the SLC's on my site where I can't upload the software from them.

At first I had them configured in RS Linx through EthernetIP driver and couldn't even make a change in the program as it told me it couldn't compile it.

I then decided to configure the Ethernet Devices driver and it worked to allow me to make modifications. However, after making the modification, saving the project with the online data crashed.

When I tried merging the online version into the unsaved offline copy, it keeps crashing. After looking into some internet knowledge, mainly on this site, I found the settings for the CIP configuration, but it didn't make a difference. (changing the fast and slow parameters from 4,2 to 1,1 and increasing the timeout).

Is there something I may be missing here? Perhaps something in the driver config?

Also, could the processor have kept connection resources occupied after the other side stopped using them (crash or something like that?).
The PLC's will be powered down today, so on Monday I'll have another go at communicating to see whether a power cycle changed something although I am doubtful it will.

Well, a few assumptions will have to be made (as certain details weren't included in your post (OS details of computer, PLC type/OS/firmware, version of RSLogix500, version of RSLinx, etc.).

I am assuming you are connecting to SLC 5/05 PLCs (and not some other member of the SLC family with an Ethernet converter, such as a SLC 5/04 with a DH+ to Ethernet device). I also assume you are using some more modern OS, like Windows 7-10.

In my experience, the older generation of SLC 5/05 PLCs were absolutely a disaster when trying to use the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx. Even performing an OS upgrade on them would still result in random crashes when making online changes. The newer generation of them seemed to have the comms under control, but as a rule of thumb, use only the Ethernet driver for SLC 5/05. The same applies for series A MicroLogix1100 PLCs, on a side note.

I had an issue with RSLogix5 when uploading from a PLC5 on my Windows 7 computer. It would crash mid-upload. I found that if I run RSLogix5 in compatibility mode (set for Windows XP SP3), it never crashed again.

If you have access to it, try to use a serial cable (1747-CP3) and connect it to your serial port (if you computer has a native port) or some sort of USB to Serial adapter (if you do not have a native serial port). I purposely outfit myself with laptops with serial ports (HP Elitebook 8560p and 8570p - old business laptops, but the best I have ever used) so that I can rest assured that any comms issues I run into are not due to a USB adapter (a battle I am sure everyone has fought). With regard to using such a cable, you will need to set up the DF1 driver in RSLinx and set it to use the comm port of the computer corresponding to the serial cable. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, feel free to ask for more details.

As mentioned, you can delete the Harmony files in the RSCommon folder on your computer. Sometimes they get plain stupid, interfering with your connections (perhaps corrupted is more accurate?). The file/files (depending on your computer/version of RSLinx) are essentially a stored image of previous connections made in RSLinx. I believe it is meant to expedite future connections. Any questions regarding this, feel free to ask.

I don't know if any of my experience will help you, but these are things to consider.

First and foremost, if you need any more help, please respond with more detailed information. Specifically, provide more details about your computer's operating system, the versions of RSLogix500 and RSLinx you are using, and the PLCs you are trying to connect to so that we can help you further.

Last edited: