Corona - Out of Country Trips

Originally posted by nyanpasu:

There are checkpoints going in or out on all points of entry.

This is the part I don't have a logistic grasp on. I haven't spent enough time in Canada (hardly any) to understand interprovincial transport.

Take a look at this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4815269,-89.0363329,13.26z

This is is a Google Maps coordinate near Beloit, WI, on the Illinois-Wisconsin border. I-90 is the interstate highway in the area. But if you scroll around some you can see all the minor roads that cross the state line. Part of Beloit even straddles the border. I think this is fairly typical of all state borders in the US. There is no way you could secure that even if you wanted to.

Keith

This is the part I don't have a logistic grasp on. I haven't spent enough time in Canada (hardly any) to understand interprovincial transport.

Take a look at this:

This is is a Google Maps coordinate near Beloit, WI, on the Illinois-Wisconsin border. I-90 is the interstate highway in the area. But if you scroll around some you can see all the minor roads that cross the state line. Part of Beloit even straddles the border. I think this is fairly typical of all state borders in the US. There is no way you could secure that even if you wanted to.

Keith

Some provinces may have this challenge with many more minor routes to cross one to the other. As for the maritime provinces, its basically one way in, one way out. Newfoundland is in and out by ferry only. N.S. has only one highway in and out that is basically on a dyke style land bridge so its easy to control. PEI is by bridge form Nova Scotia and ferry only. New Brunswick likely has more challenges with multiple access points.

Or Murder Hornets!

Now come on...

I saw on the news last week some official from Nova Scotia said people there should not worry about Murder Hornets.

There was NO WAY they could possibly travel from British Columbia to N.S. - even though they traveled across the Pacific ocean without the help of cars, transport trucks, railcars, etc........

Take a look at this:

Keith

I think there are 4 land routes from Quebec to New Brunswick, which are the only ways in for the rest of Canada into the Atlantic provinces. Outside of the Quebec City-Windsor corridor, the country is pretty much a whole bunch of nothing interspersed with pockets of dense population. So most borders are just crossed by a few major roads.

The Ottawa-Gatineau population centre might be the most densely populated place near an interprovincial border. If you look at a map, the Ontario city (Ottawa) and the Quebec city (Gatineau) are split by a river which the political border follows, so the only way to cross is by bridge or maybe ferry.

Last edited:
I was working in a huge textile factory, near Mexico city.
The government requires effluent chart recorders on plant discharges to compare water purchased vs water discharged.
The company has 60 hp pumps completely hidden under finished tiled floors to pump in ground well water illegally.
To hide illegally pumping untreated water out...
The 4-20 ma signal on the v-notch weir to the chart recorder is diverted to a simulator &
@ night they would empty their ponds of illegally pumped in water flipping a small toggle switch to simulate 4 ma = no flow to out the chart.
Rain water, Sewage & Industrial waste, are all 3 charted as well as city water in.
If it is not raining there had better be no rain flow plotted.
Water in must = water out
The illegally pumped in water is illegally pumped out & untreated at that.
The city is literally sinking due to water being pumped out of the ground.
I was there when somebody showed up in an official looking truck to pick up a pile of charts all organized & marked with dates.
He seemed very friendly with the head engineer.
I am sure he knows what is going on.
All of the emergency exits in the factory were chained shut to prevent employee theft I was told.
Fire hazards everywhere.
The only way in or out was a narrow door @ the time clock with a guard checking everybody.
Safety interlocks defeated, doors & skins removed from most machines to speed production.
I saw all of this & more in only a few weeks.
Not sure how legitimate law abiding companies can compete...

I was working in a huge textile factory, near Mexico city.
The government requires effluent chart recorders on plant discharges to compare water purchased vs water discharged.
The company has 60 hp pumps completely hidden under finished tiled floors to pump in ground well water illegally.
To hide illegally pumping untreated water out...
The 4-20 ma signal on the v-notch weir to the chart recorder is diverted to a simulator &
@ night they would empty their ponds of illegally pumped in water flipping a small toggle switch to simulate 4 ma = no flow to out the chart.
Rain water, Sewage & Industrial waste, are all 3 charted as well as city water in.
If it is not raining there had better be no rain flow plotted.
Water in must = water out
The illegally pumped in water is illegally pumped out & untreated at that.
The city is literally sinking due to water being pumped out of the ground.
I was there when somebody showed up in an official looking truck to pick up a pile of charts all organized & marked with dates.
He seemed very friendly with the head engineer.
I am sure he knows what is going on.
All of the emergency exits in the factory were chained shut to prevent employee theft I was told.
Fire hazards everywhere.
The only way in or out was a narrow door @ the time clock with a guard checking everybody.
Safety interlocks defeated, doors & skins removed from most machines to speed production.
I saw all of this & more in only a few weeks.
Not sure how legitimate law abiding companies can compete...

The joke is on them when under their finished tiled floor one of their pumps gets a loose connection from a Mexican wire nut!